2 adult male rats, Kidlington

For helping rats to safety in new permanent homes, foster homes, or for other rescue related situations. Please use the relevant template, threads will need approval.
catgirl

2 adult male rats, Kidlington

Post by catgirl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Contact details: Email me on amydickman(at)gmail.com
Number of groups of rats: 1
Number of rats in group: 2
Age(s): Just over 1 year old
Name(s): Pinky and Stripy (which does not reflect their colouring at all!)
Colours/varieties: White dumbo rats with small amounts of grey
Neutered: No

Reason for rehoming: An elderly relative died and had these two rats, which are now in real need of a loving home. I wish I could take them on as but I travel too much, and I really want them to have a nice home.

Temperament: The relative was quite frail and I suspect he liked to watch the rats interact within their large cage rather than really getting them out much – they seem happy to be stroked if you put your hand in, but are not as relaxed about being handled, so they need someone to take the time to work with them and get them used to handling. They don’t seem at all vicious or anything and have never bitten as far as I know – they are curious and interested, but one at least tends to try to hide when you try to get them out of the cage, so I think are in need of lots more attention and handling than they have received.

Medical problems: None that are obvious, though they have slight red patches on their backs, which seem a bit more obvious some days than others – maybe from grooming, I am not sure

Will the group be split (only relevant for groups of 4 and over): Really want these two to stay together as they have been together since birth

Transport available: Yes, I could help drive them to somewhere within about 2 hours from Oxfordshire – depending on breaking down the cage, which is huge!

Other: They came in a huge cage with some hammocks etc (pics attached below if I can work out how to do it!) – around 5 feet tall I think, and that can go with them. Hmm, right now I can't seem to attach images, I have looked on Amazon and think it is the Blenheim cage although it does not have all the layers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Friends ... m+rat+cage

I think it would be fine to expand the social group in the cage if needed, but would want someone to keep them in that kind of cage as they have been used to that space and I know the relative would have wanted them well cared for. They also have a pop-up playpen which is about 4 feet across, which can also come. I need to know they have gone to a nice home so am willing to wait a bit for someone who can invest love and attention on them, as I think they deserve it, but the sooner they can have a lovely forever home the better. Thank you!

Return to “Rat rehoming and rescue help”