When to get new rats?

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Cateytatey

When to get new rats?

Post by Cateytatey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi,
I’m new here! We have two pet rats we’ve had for 2 years. They are the first pet rats we’ve had and we love them dearly. My question is this, I believe that pet rats often don’t live longer than 2 years. When one of them passes away what is the done thing with the one that is left as I know it’s not ok to keep rats without a playmate. If we were to get 2 new rats would it be ok to mix them gradually? Shall we do this sooner rather than later? They’re in good health at the moment but I’d like to be prepared as I know it can take a while to get pet rats from reputable breeders.
Any advice appreciated and sorry if this is covered in one of the pinned threads.
Catherine x

Charlieandfriends

Re: When to get new rats?

Post by Charlieandfriends » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi,

I'm glad you're enjoying your rats, they make such great pets! As you mentioned, rats should never be kept alone, so when one of your pair does pass it would be good to make sure the remaining rat has company. It would be good to get your new rats soon just in case this does happen. There are several different methods of introducing rats, but one of the best ones is the carrier method. It's detailed on the isamu rats website but it involves putting your new rats and your old rats in a small space like a carrier and slowly moving up to larger enclosures, which helps prevent injuries from fighting and allows heirachies to establish quicker.
Hope this was useful :)

[cub]

Re: When to get new rats?

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:38 pm

It's definitely a good idea to look at getting more rats now, especially if you want rats from a good breeder (rather than say a rescue). Not only does this hopefully mean you won't end up in a lone rat situation, but it also means your current rats will be younger and fitter when they go through intros, which can be quite a stressful time.

Here's a link to the Isamu Rats' guide to the carrier method; there's also a video at the bottom of the article: http://www.isamurats.co.uk/the-carrier-method.html
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Return to “Other care”