Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Refusing to take Trimacare
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

I've got a girl with a suspected UTI who's on Trimacare (co-trimoxazole) and she's definitely not keen on it. She gets about halfway through the dose before she realises something's up and then starts rubbing her face in the substrate and refusing the rest. Folding the rest of the dose into a new tasty treat convinces her to have another go, but she quickly realises she's being tricked and refuses it again. So far I've tried chocolate pudding, the rest of the chocolate pudding soaked into bread, mashed potato, the rest of the mashed potato with added oil, and the rest of the mashed potato and oil with added peanut butter. I've now got some marzipan, filo pastry, shortcrust pastry, hummous, and an avocado, so I have plenty of options to try next, but don't want her chronically underdosed.

Any advice on the most likely things to try are most welcome. Or just any commiserations from anyone else who's experienced this. :lol: I know Septrin is advised against as it's so widely disliked but I'm considering asking the vet for that instead so I can at least try to syringe it. (This will of course end up with me bitten and covered in Septrin... :roll: )

Post subject: Re: Refusing to take Trimacare
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm 

We have found a small/tiny amount of pâté mixed with medication goes down best with our girls. We give it to them on the end of a spoon and they usually lick it clean (and we always give it to them before food so they are hungry).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm 

Commiserations from us - been there done that and it's very frustrating :roll:
Have you managed to get the meds into her with any of the other options you had? I know you mentioned avocado; this has worked for us and another usual is Heinz oat and apple baby porridge.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:23 pm 

Thanks both; it's reassuring to know it's not just me. I'm used to medication going down easily, or at least being syringeable, so this is a fun new challenge. :roll:

Marzipan is working! She's still a bit reluctant but eventually eats it all. I'd prefer something less sugary, but nothing else was working, including banana and malt paste. So her royal fussiness will be getting a little ball of marzipan every day for the next few weeks. Maybe that was her plan all along. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am 

Little tinker :lol: - but so glad it's working.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health