Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: 9 week old female making a strange noise
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm 

I have had two female rats for 9 days now. One is 9 weeks, the other 7 1/2 weeks. The elder rat is making a strange purring/congested/squeaking sound? She doesn't do it all the time, if her attention is taken by something else, she'll stop for 5 seconds or so, and then carry on, she also doesn't do it when she's settled down before sleeping. I can't see that she's bored, their cage is full of things and they have a minimum of an hour of free roaming time a day, and they're in the living room and we're always talking to them.

The breeder told us she squeaks when she comes into heat, however this has lasted around 48 hours now. It was quite loud and consistent for around the first 4 hours, seems to be a bit less now but she's still doing it.

Any ideas? Am I being paranoid? These are the first rats I've owned so a bit cautious.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 9 week old female making a strange noise
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I'd keep an eye on her, she may need meds if it's a case of pasteurella or something. Check with the breeder.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Or it could be parasitic bronchitis, so a spot of ivermectin is a good idea just in case.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm 

Thanks for the advice. We had planned to take her to the vet Tuesday night. Woke up Tuesday morning and she was silent after being quite noisy Monday night. Came home from work Tuesday and she was still silent, we had her out running around and she was fine so hoped that was the end of it. Tonight at about 9pm she started doing it again :(

Definitely taking her to the vet tomorrow regardless of whether she's actually making the noise or not.

Found a website called joinrats.com (apologies if I'm not supposed to reference other websites) where they have videos of various rats making different noises and she sounds similar to Rose on there if anyone is familiar with the video or is interested in the noise I'm on about.

I just regret not taking her on Tuesday...

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am 

So I took her this morning and they've given me:

Inflacam Anti-inflammatory 0.16ml daily for 5 days
Baytril 2.5% 0.04ml for 10 days

Does that sound about right in your experience?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am 
Fancy Rats Team

The baytril dose seems low - 0.04 twice a day would be suitable for an 80g rat and at 9 weeks she should be far bigger than that.

I hope they haven't also told you to put it in her water? If they have, I'd start looking for a different vet.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm 

Oh :| they weighed her and she's 240g. Should it be more like 0.12ml then? (Just multiplying by 3, not sure if that's how it works :roll: )

No they didn't say in water thankfully. They just gave me some little syringes so I put a drop on some kale and she didn't seem to notice.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 pm 

The BSAVA enrofloxacin (Baytril) dose range for rats is anything from 5-25mg/kg twice daily, or 0.2-1.0mL/kg twice daily of the 2.5% solution. 0.04mL twice daily in a 240g rat works out at about 4mg/kg, so even lower than the lowest dose. :roll:

The dose my vet normally uses is 10mg/kg twice daily, so that would be about 0.1mL twice daily for a 240g rat. You may need to go back for more so as to have enough for a full course. You may also find that kale stops working at higher doses since it's not very absorbent, but if it's worked so far it's worth sticking with it for now.

Assuming that the Inflacam is a 1.5mg/mL meloxicam solution, 0.16mL per day is actually the correct dose for a 240g rat. Goodness me. :o :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:07 pm 

Thank you cub that's a massive help.

I'm certainly more inclined to trust you guys on here, no disrespect to my vet, I guess they don't get huge amounts of rat training...

I'll definitely just go for 0.1ml twice a day. She loves barley rings so I can use that as a more absorbent second option.

You are correct about the Inflacam. Not sure what's happened with the calculations :roll:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health