Sneezing Rats

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
rattimus

Sneezing Rats

Post by rattimus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Two of my 7 month old boys have random sneezing episodes with some nose blowing. One was at the vet the during the week and she couldn't see/hear anything wrong. I was given some Baytril to give him once a day as a precaution. Today I hear one of my other boys sneezing. I've not noticed any blood or even excessive porphyrin discharge from any of my 4 boys.

I've kept rats for a few years but I've never had any lung issues before. Is there a possibility this is just something environmental that I need to change before they do end up with an infection?

[cub]

Re: Sneezing Rats

Post by [cub] » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm definitely not an expert so don't necessarily do what I do, but I generally don't bother treating the odd bit of respyness. Everyone is allowed to sneeze from time to time, after all, and I figure letting rats deal with the odd sneeze or snort themselves is better than overusing antibiotics. How severe/frequent are the sneezing episodes, and how many other respiratory symptoms are there?

Also, once a day Baytril is slightly concerning as the usual dosage is 10mg/kg twice a day. (And also, what dosage were you prescribed, and how long for? A bit of Baytril as a precaution can do more harm than good, tbh.)
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:43 pm

It's random, not daily. Today there's been more sneezing than before. It started with one rat and now it's two Otherwise, they are all perfectly healthy. I had a large female (500g I think) she was a noisy sleeper and loved to blow her nose all me. There were no other health issues there.

The only reason for the Baytril was because I mentioned to the vet about it during a check up. It's a 2.5% 0.02ml dose.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am

0.02ml is very low (suitable for a 40g rat! ... not sure how you'd even measure that little), and I agree with cub, antibiotics shouldn't be given as a precaution in this sort of case.

They could be dealing with a low level infection, and if they don't have any signs of being unwell (lethargy, staring coat, not eating, etc.), then it's best to let their immune systems deal with it.

Alternatively, they may just have a bit of irritation from pollen in the air - the plants have all gone into overdrive this past week or so!

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

I agree. If it's the odd bit of sneezing, and not even happening every day, and they're otherwise well in themselves — alert, active, eating and drinking well, breathing easily — then I wouldn't treat. That low a dose of antibiotics is probably doing more harm than good anyway. (I'd definitely start looking for a better vet, as one day one of your charges is likely to need something a bit more complicated like an operation, and at that point I would definitely not want to be going somewhere that underdoses Baytril by a factor of 10! :roll: )

Changes in weather can also prompt respiratory symptoms; it's been quite warm and dry lately and that'll make rats a bit more prone to sneeziness. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not constant/severe.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:55 pm

I made a minor error its 0.2ml. Dunno what made me think it was 0.02ml, maybe posting half asleep late at night.

If only the weather in Scotland is so nice, it's been pretty damp here as usual. That doesn't affect pollen levels though.

I've not given any Baytril today especially if it won't do any good.

The sneezing is a bit more every day now and the rest are a bit sneezy too. Could hanging laundry up cause any issue? I know rats are sensitive to strong odours. I live in a 1 bed flat so kinda limited on where I can hang things to dry. I've got a dehumidifier but that hasn't caused any issue with previous rats. I know there is probably a large list of things that can cause sneezing in rats.

I'll keep an eye on them for any changes but they seem in good health otherwise.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Oh that's better - although I'm now going to say you should actually carry on with the baytril until they've had at least 7 days of it, otherwise you could end up with baytril resistent bacteria. I'd give it twice a day though - 0.1ml each time if your rat is about 200g, 0.15ml if they are 300g, or 0.2ml if 400g.

Yes, the scent from washing could be an irritant, try switching to a fragrance free product.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I've actually just bought a lot of natural household cleaners to hopefully lessen any irritation from them as well. I'd rather rule out everything environmental including the detergent I use for their hammocks (non-bio only, no 2 in 1s) as I could be using a wee bit too much.

Rory is around 400g. I think he's a little over that but I couldn't hear the vet right. At least I found a way of giving him Baytril, I mix it with a bit of water from jam but he takes his time with it.

Return to “Health”