Spot-like lump on rex buck's back

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
rhubarb04

Spot-like lump on rex buck's back

Post by rhubarb04 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi all.

I've just found a small, spot (as in pimple/black head) -like lump on my rex buck Derry' s back.
It's about the size of a small lump and very hard, and is located in the centre of his back - I actually thought it was part of his spine at first, but upon further inspection, it's definitely a separate lump.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain, the skin maybe looks a little redder but it's hard to tell because his hair is growing over it as usual.

Any idea what it is and a suitable course of action?

Thanks, :)
2 Bucks fae Scotland
Derry & Barty ❤

🌈 Garfunkel, Sylvester and Murphy 🌈

ElizabethW

Re: Spot-like lump on rex buck's back

Post by ElizabethW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 am

Not an expert, but possibly a cyst? We've dealt with a couple and they've felt almost like a dried pea under the skin and were around the same size as one too. I would keep an eye on it for now and see if it gets any bigger than pea sized, in which case it could be an abscess.
Maybe someone else will be able to offer more advice :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

rhubarb04

Post by rhubarb04 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

ElizabethW wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 am
Not an expert, but possibly a cyst? We've dealt with a couple and they've felt almost like a dried pea under the skin and were around the same size as one too. I would keep an eye on it for now and see if it gets any bigger than pea sized, in which case it could be an abscess.
Maybe someone else will be able to offer more advice :)
Yeah, I did wonder if it was maybe a cyst. I had another look yesterday and this morning and it might be a little bigger? Maybe? It's hard to tell, honestly. It's also potentially a little yellow, but that could just be his skin's a little greasy.

If it is a cyst, what's a normal course of action generally?

Thanks! :D
2 Bucks fae Scotland
Derry & Barty ❤

🌈 Garfunkel, Sylvester and Murphy 🌈

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am

I agree it sounds like a cyst. They can remain stable for a long time, but if you want to give it a gentle squeeze, then it may open - it'll look like an inside out fig but with the contents all dry. You can pull the contents off, which might make it bleed a little, or just let the other rats sort it out. :mrgreen:

Return to “Health”