Claws splitting

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Kaykay87

Claws splitting

Post by Kaykay87 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I've had my ratty lady for 2 weeks now and noticed her claws are long and look like one or 2 on her hind legs are splitting, a little like brittle fingernails in humans. I put a flat cement type brick block in her cage by the water but is there anything else I can to to keep her claws from getting too long? I'm not confident enough to trim them myself and honestly not sure they would need it just yet. She seems happy and healthy in all other respects, eating well and grooming herself regularly.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Claws splitting

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am

Claws shouldn't split just because they are long. It could be that she's lacking something in her diet, calcium perhaps? What do you feed?

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm

She's on a premade mix I was given when i got her, im getting a new food weds and gonna swap thrm out slowly. She gets yoghurt drops after playtime and apples carrots pasta and a little toast atm.
It doesnt look like shes in pain, it looks like maybe it caught and the tip split a little.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am

No need to change over slowly, they have evolved to eat an ever changing diet. :luck:

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am

Is the split across the claw or along the length of the claw? If it's across the claw then hopefully a good quality diet will sort it out.

On an unrelated note, you mentioned just one rat... is she on her own?
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Its from the tip diagonally up to the toe, but it stops at the edge of the claw before the the if that makes sense.

Yes she is on her own at the moment. She was on her own in the shop and they told me she didnt get on with their other rats. I'm buying a much bigger cage than the one they gave me and getting her a friend soon, as she is so different to what I was told. They said she was skittish, nippy and disnt like being handled.
Shes calm, never bitten us, loves cuddle time in my hoody or sitting on my head. I got her as I'm a proper softie and she looked so lonely. Only had her 3 weeks and she's settled right in. She loves being stroked, and carried about.
I think the shop fed me a few lies to make a sale in all honesty, but i love her to bits

Return to “Health”