Home remedy for mites

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Skyblue

Home remedy for mites

Post by Skyblue » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 am

Will coconut oil get rid of lice or mites on my pet rat.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Home remedy for mites

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 am

No. Just get a product containing ivermectin (e.g. beaphar spot on from a pet shop, or harkamectin from rat rations) to eradicate lice, and reduce levels of mites. :luck:

Rats will always have some mites (invisible to the naked eye), but they shouldn't cause a problem unless the rat is under the weather for some other reason.

Lice can be picked up directly or indirectly from other rats, and can be seen as small moving brownish things (often at the base of the rump by the tail), and will leave nit cases on the hair shafts.

Dutchie

Post by Dutchie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:37 am

I hope it's okay if I ask my question here:
My youngest rats are 3 months old now. The group has been scratching extensively so I want to use ivermectin ( a product from beaphar)
Is it safe for the youngest three?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Yes, I treat kittens at 6 weeks (preventative in case of parasitic bronchitis), so 3 months is fine.

Dutchie

Post by Dutchie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you! :girly:

Clifford

Post by Clifford » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

Sorry for bumping this but decided to ask here too. It may seem unrelated at first, but allow me to explain.
Recently I had discovered dust mites in my bed. According to this page I have all the symptoms. The thing is that my pet's cage is in my bedroom as well, I linked this with Beth's sudden skin rashes and cough. Think ivermectin will help in this case? Thanks.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 pm

If your rat has respiratory issues and a skin reaction, it is probably not due to dust mites, and she needs to see a vet, preferably one with knowledge of and experience in treating rats. Ivermectin might help, but it really depends on what's causing her symptoms.

Also, dust mites are not the same species as rat fur mites, do not live on rats, and therefore will not be affected by a treatment applied to the rat. There are tens of thousands of species of arthropods that are all called "mites"; they aren't the same thing. (That site is also kind of ... not exactly wrong but not exactly right either. Dust mites are everywhere, you can't get rid of them, you can only control their population, and if you're getting symptoms, it's either because your house is *really* dusty or you're just allergic to them. I find pest control sites like that tend to make the creatures that share our living spaces sound a lot more horrifying than they are. They are, after all, trying to sell you their solutions.)

Also, if your rat is indeed a singular rat, she will need at least one friend, preferably two, once her medical condition is sorted. (Rats can in fact find being alone quite stressful, and it's possible that her symptoms are being caused or exacerbated by stress.) I recommend looking for ethical, knowledgeable breeders or rescues in your area and reading up on the carrier method of introducing rats.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Din.
Fondly remembering: Xeltan the wonky, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Clifford

Post by Clifford » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Health”