Funny noise from young rat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Branston+pickles

Funny noise from young rat

Post by Branston+pickles » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi,

I posted a couple months ago about one of my new rats who seemed to sneeze occasionally and I got reassured that this is quite normal. Well he has started to make this weird noise, almost similar to when we have a blocked nose and try blow it, it kind of honks? It's not all the time, maybe once or twice when he has his hour and a half free time. Just happens as hes running around. He doesnt have any discharge, loss of appetite or any behaviour changes. Any idea what this may be?

Forgot to mention hes about 6 months old now

[cub]

Re: Funny noise from young rat

Post by [cub] » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:54 pm

It's probably exactly what it sounds like: he's got a blocked nose and is clearing it. At a guess, he might be exploring dusty corners while he's out of the cage; rats tend to stick their nose in places that we struggle to reach with the hoover or straight up don't notice. Again, if it's infrequent and not severe, I wouldn't worry. Some rats do seem to be more prone to exhibiting respiratory symptoms than others, but I think just monitoring them if it's mild is a sensible approach. Putting them on antibiotics at the slightest sniffle just leads to more and faster antibiotic resistance down the road.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”