Young rat with respitory problem

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Xebu

Young rat with respitory problem

Post by Xebu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for having me 😊 Im a danish rat owner, allways looking to improve life for my rats. I just got home a 6 week old female rat. She went through a 3 hour drive to Come home to me. After two hours here she started having some breathing noises (from the nose). Its not too bad and she seems in good spirit. Usually I Rush My rats to the vet as soon as hear the slightest noise in their breathing, as Im super paranoid about respiratory problems. But Im not sure if I should give her a little time to settle and see if it clears (if its not yet an infection I dont want to stress her with an unnesessary trip to the vet within the first 24 hours in a New home) . Also I believe the two types of penicillin My vets Suscribe are baytrill and doxycycline, and Ive red that they are bad for young rats under 4 months. Any advice? 😬

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Young rat with respitory problem

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am

If a young rat needs antibiotics then septrim or synulox are both safe. However, I always wait several days to allow a rat's immune system to kick in before medicating (so long as they are otherwise well in themselves of course), it's very important to not overuse antibiotics.

It sounds as though this little girl is on her own (she should have a same aged playmate, so the place you got her from is not the best!), so that will be an added source of stress to the normal stress of being moved to a new home. You will need to get another kitten or two asap, and then hopefully she will get over it.

I would also give her some ivermectin (if she hasn't already had some) to guard against parasitic bronchitis which is a risk at her age.

If you have other female rats, then wait until the kittens are about 9 - 10 weeks old before introducing them.

Return to “Health”