Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Contagious infections record
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Please use this thread to share information about any viral or other contagious infections. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Contageous infections record
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

I'll use the template from the old forum for neatness.

town/county: Thirsk, North Yorkshire
symptoms: Possible urinary tract infections, puffy fur and generally looking unwell.
number of infected/lost to date: 2 UTIs, 3 looking unwell. None lost.
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Preston show, 8th October. Skeldale and Battleflatts vets.
link to thread with more info on: Esme looked unwell first, which may or may not be connected. Thread is here. Second thread with UTI info is here.
any additional info: Only two rats have UTI symptoms, the other 3 possibly infected are different - one has had a previously well healed abscess return, one is just a bit foofy and sneezy and one has no easily pinpointed symptoms but is definitely not "right", so possibly just bad coincidence. All 6 in that cage are being treated with Baytril. The rats with UTI symptoms are also being treated with Septrin and Metacam.

Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.
"all small beasts should have bows in their tails"

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm 

It's contagious not contageous....

Thank you - the initial post has now been edited. :)

Post subject: Re: Contagious infections record
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 pm 

Town/county: Basingstoke, Hampshire

Symptoms: Sudden swelling of the throat, glazed eyes, Very bad respiritory issues, Porphryn from the nose

Number of infected/lost to date: 3 lost, 5 more showing symptoms

Events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Pets @ Home Basingstoke, Farnham & Weymouth. St Kitts Vets in Basingstoke

Any additional info: We believe this is the SDA virus: "Sialodacryoadenitis (SDA) virus is an infection of the salivary glands, and symptoms can include sneezing, wheezing, runny eyes and nose, labored breathing, swelling of the glands under the throat, bulging eyes and sudden death. The disease is usually more severe in older rats.
You can’t treat the virus, but you can treat the secondary infections that cause the most danger."

Please be vigilant with your ratties as this is a very nasty virus, the first we knew was when Odin suddenly looked very ill and passed away within a shockingly short amount of time. Its taken our other 2 oldies Zeb and Lurr as well. Thankfully the others are all under a year old and seem to be fighting it at the moment with the help of meds.

Shelley; DW Fozzy Joker Badger Tricky Baileys Jack Billy Roland Sirius Orion Perseus Sorrel Teasel Ash & Rowan. The girls: Minuit Rosie Pippin Tog Pogle & Fenn - And all my many many loved furries at the bridge, never forgotten in our hearts xx

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Muskrat wrote:
I'll use the template from the old forum for neatness.

town/county: Thirsk, North Yorkshire
symptoms: Possible urinary tract infections, puffy fur and generally looking unwell.
number of infected/lost to date: 2 UTIs, 3 looking unwell. None lost.
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Preston show, 8th October. Skeldale and Battleflatts vets.
link to thread with more info on: Esme looked unwell first, which may or may not be connected. Thread is here. Second thread with UTI info is here.
any additional info: Only two rats have UTI symptoms, the other 3 possibly infected are different - one has had a previously well healed abscess return, one is just a bit foofy and sneezy and one has no easily pinpointed symptoms but is definitely not "right", so possibly just bad coincidence. All 6 in that cage are being treated with Baytril. The rats with UTI symptoms are also being treated with Septrin and Metacam.

A few of our rats were at the same show on Saturday 8th and the two young rescues started with URTI symptoms on the same day about 6 days later. They are relatively well since being on baytril but very noisy. My breeder rats are all fine. May be co-incidental but I thought I would mention it.

Running a pet sitting business

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:49 pm 

Town/county: Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
Suspected infection: SDAV
Symptoms: fluffy, staring coat; excessive porphyrin staining especially crusted on eyes; one rat with swollen throat gland (left side); wheezing, squeaky lungs, loads of sneezing. Worst affected rats became floppy, inert, lacked appetite, photosensitivity presented as squinting under light and prefering dark corners.
Number of rats affected/lost: 1 rat lost, pts after becoming too ill to go under anaesthetic for unrelated abdo mass. Rat completely inert, laboured breathing, one eye porphyrin crusted. Other affected rats gaining in number, currently at 8 out of 19.
Events/places visited in last 3 weeks that may pose a threat to others: vets only.

Additional info: initially only oldest/sickly rats affected, now spreading to younger healthy rats. One whole cage of 6 boys plus 2 old boys in neighbouring cage. Several abscesses appearing presumed due to compromised immunities.

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:58 pm 
Admin Aide

town/county: Ipswich, Suffolk
suspected infection: SDAV
symptoms: Lethargy, unable to keep warm, laboured side sucky breathing, clicky sound when they breathe, very wet eyes, porph from the nose, floppy
number of infected/lost to date: 1 PTS, another obviously infected and a further 8 under observation for crackly chests
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Meldreth Show on 8th September, Ashcroft Rd vets and I also took in some babies from mupsy at EPGRR just over two weeks ago
any additional info: We initially had two 9wk old rats (that came from EGPRR) that presented with swelling in the neck. There were no other signs of illness so we assumed this was a possible allergic reaction. Then we found Pablo displaying the above symptoms; however he had a tumour attached to his ribs so we thought it was related to his tumour. We then found his previously healthy cage mate Ivan with the same symptoms. Although I have noted above that I went to the show, we believe it is most likely the virus came in with the babies we took in recently. The two rats I took to the show have shown no symptoms of illness and are not under observation.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:01 pm 
Admin Aide

I would also like to add to my post above that I have spoken to mupsy at EGPRR and she says they currently have no rats with SDAV or any with any ill health at all. She says the following:

Quote:
I would just like to state that no rats at EGPRR have SDAV, or are displaying any symptoms. We have the female babies from the same litter as was taken to Sidney's Safe House, all of which are healthy and are doing well. Sorry to hear of the outbreak with you guys, and we will quarantine any rats who display any ill-health in light of this.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:56 pm 

Town/Country - Neath/skewen
Suspected infection - viral ?Sdav
Symptoms- fluffy coat, unwell, squinty eyes, prophryn from nose, one rat is around both eyes as well, respiratory problem, crackly chest noises, sneezing, clicking noise when breathing, rapid breathing, cold to touch, and coughing sort of sound on occasions.
Number of affected- 5 rats
Events/places visited in last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others -skewen vets and Zoahs in Neath
Treatment- Baytril, septrin and metcam

Additional info, one rat initially displayed symptoms, and thought it was new cardboard type bedding, but has spread to the rest of the group, 1 rat in group remains unaffected to date. 3 females and one oldie unaffected in different cages

RIP Buster my beloved 14mths 1/12/12 , Precious Old man Splinter, 28+ mths 9/12/12. little mousie Lucy, run free little ones

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 am 

can i just add to above post, had 1 pts because of the virus, pneumonia.

RIP Buster my beloved 14mths 1/12/12 , Precious Old man Splinter, 28+ mths 9/12/12. little mousie Lucy, run free little ones

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 am 

Town/county: Chatham/Kent though rats came from Somerset

Symptoms: Porphryn from the nose, mild to severe respiratory issues, bulging/swollen and teary eyes (suspected SDAv)

Number of infected/lost to date: 0 lost, 9 showing symptoms

Events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: Picked up two new rats from London - suspected carriers. Easipet Care Chatham, College Vets Maidstone

RIP Baby Bug Blue and Oska, loves of my life and never forgotten x

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:37 am 

town/county: Wilberfoss (near York), Yorkshire
symptoms: respiratory symptoms, pneumonia, 4 deaths
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: YRC show Sheffield 21st September
any additional info: Possibly Sendai

http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:44 pm 

KateR wrote:
town/county: Wilberfoss (near York), Yorkshire
symptoms: respiratory symptoms, pneumonia, 4 deaths
events/places visited within the last 3 weeks that may pose a risk to others: YRC show Sheffield 21st September
any additional info: Possibly Sendai

Now confirmed (by culturing of tissues following a post mortem) as bordetella bronchisepticus

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 am 
Admin Aide

According to a thread on the Rats Are Awesome Facebook group there is SDA or Sendai in Milton Keynes, Northamptonshire and Swindon

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health