Limping

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Caza66

Limping

Post by Caza66 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Simon has been holding his foot up since Christmas. I moved him to a low level cage and put him on metacam. He has been seen by a vet who couldn't detect a break by feel. I did have a hammock and shelf cover in the cage but I noticed he was catching his nails in there. So I have taken them out but he is no better. I haven't trimmed his nails as I didn't want to risk more damage by having to hold his foot. I let him have a little free range today and he was running around quite well but still holding his foot up.

Should I be taking him back for an X-ray?

He also has 2 lumps on his spine so he looks slightly deformed, respy infectin and an abscess on his nose. He weighs 272g and is about 8 months old. I don't think any of this additional info is relevant but just a bit of background on a poorly boy.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

ElizabethW

Re: Limping

Post by ElizabethW » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Sorry I can't offer advice, but how is Simon doing? :luck:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:33 am

He's still the same. He seems to be happy enough, he's just not putting weight on his foot. If it is broken an X-ray should be able to determine if it is, but they won't be able to treat it, so do I leave him in the small cage for another few weeks so it has time to heal if it is a break.

starstar

Post by starstar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:24 am

Personally I would be worried about having him x rayed if he is respy. As you say there would be nothing other than pain management they could do if it was broken, other than what you are already doing. In your situation, that is what I would do, if that helps x

Get well soon Simon.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Given that they won't treat a break I wouldn't bother with an x-ray as it doesn't change anything for him. If it is a break it'll be a few weeks healing so I'd just keep doing what you're doing.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 pm

There doesn't seem to be any improvement in Simons leg. It is nearly 4 weeks since it happened and he is still holding it up. Although he did try scratching himself with it the other day. I seem to have 6 weeks in my head for healing if it is a break but can't find reference to it now. Should I have seen some improvement by now?

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:19 pm

I'd also think 6 weeks for a break. But that's not based on anything except people and when my cat broke his tail.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:08 am

Simons knee swelled up at the weekend so we took him to the vet last night. He seemed to think that it could be septic arthritis. Hes going for an X-ray on Friday.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Unfortunately the lump in Simon's knee was a bone tumour so whilst he was under anaesthetic we let him go. He was such a wee little man with a sweet temperament. I'm sorry we couldn't do more to help him. :rattyrainbow:

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I am so sorry to read this Caza. x
Four beautiful girls, Lady B, Meow (MaoMao), Miss Winnie & Jinx

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm so sorry - sending hugs xx
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Return to “Health”