feeding after rat choking

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Snezzer1

feeding after rat choking

Post by Snezzer1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi had a bit of a scare monday night, noticed smudge was sat on her own and felt rather cold so picked her up it looked like she was choking so took her to the emergency vet.

The first vet diagnosed vomiting ( my understanding is they don't could be wrong ) gave her an injection of baytril and loxicom and told us to separate from the group and keep a close eye in case it was infectious. I stayed awake with her and she seemed to be getting worse felt colder lethargic and fur was up on end. The next day i took her to the vet as soon as it opened and they took her in for observation. I collected her yesterday afternoon as they said they couldn't see anything blocking the airway and she had started drinking again.

She's still separate but the discharge has gone from her mouth (was kinda white and she had red discharge as well but not sure if it was blood or polyorphin. Were giving her baytril and ronoxan as advised by the vet. She doesn't seem to me managing her mix yet but i fed her some baby food this morning and she was very eager to eat that .

Just wondering what your thoughts are should i keep her separate until she is eating grain again, does it sound like something contagiuous ?

THanks

Sarah

RedFraggle

Re: feeding after rat choking

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Rats do not vomit, you're correct, they cannot physically do it as their anatomy doesn't allow it.

It sounds like a choke, the white discharge could be mucous (they drool to try and clear the blockage) and it's pretty exhausting for them so normal to be lethargic afterwards.
If she's eating soft foods but not mix then I would get her on metacam too in case there is some soft tissue damage. Keep up the soft foods until she can manage other stuff.
I would put her back with at least one of her friends (someone quiet if you have a choice) as it'll help her.

It could be resp related but she's on antibiotics so that's covered. If it were one of the nasty contagious resp things then your other rats will have been exposed to it already so there's little benefit in keeping her separate unless friends appear to be annoying her (though they may take a little while to settle, so don't worry if they're all over her when they first see her again).
Hope she gets better soon.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Unless you are keeping her in a separate airspace (i.e. another building) then there is no point in her being separated even if it is contagious.

The vet clearly knows little about rats as they can't vomit. But if they choke, then they can inhale some of the mucous produced, which can lead to pneumonia. I'm sure she will appreciate some warm comforting company, so either put a quiet companion in with her, or return her to the main cage.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

If it wasn't a result of choking, then it would be worth getting her mouth and teeth checked, but they might need to sedate her briefly in order to do that.

(cross posted)

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for the advice :)

I spoke to the vet today and she said to keep an eye on her but if she is not eating solids tomorrow to bring her in so they can check her teeth under sedation. I think she is right though as she was saying the throat could be inflamed i recon it is more likely to be that.

I'm keen to get her back with the other girls but wondering if it a good idea to wait until tomorrow or friday if the vet needs to sedate her may need to separate from group again. Although it might help her to recover quicker if she has company.

Tricky one, i'm not keen on sedating her vet wasn't either if she is having a problem on the lungs

lah185

Post by lah185 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 pm

My rat did this once and it was terrifying. Woke up to her hammock been covered in white slime. So I gave her something to eat and it looked like she was vomiting (I knew they couldn't so I was even more worried) and all the slime came out of her mouth.
The vet checked her and said everything seemed fine. So she was just given some baytril just incase and it never happened again.
slave to Jazz, Rupert, Pudsey & Teddy
RIP to beautiful Rassy & Minnie x

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:02 am

I wouldn't sedate her right now I don't think. I would ask for metacam to help with any soreness and inflammation. I would definitely put her back with her friends.
Given that the vet doesn't appear to know too much I wouldn't be comfortable following their advice too much to be honest. I'd allow her to recover, keep up the antibiotics and metacam and review in a few days.

Note: crucial punctuation added ;)
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:58 am

Thanks i will do it she is very lively this morning i think she is ready !

THe first vet definitely agree, my usual vet there is very good he always gives me a massive pot of baytril when i go and see him. He's the one who is going to be operating on taz today Ive been seing him for a year and i trust him he is very good. He suggested a lot of things i have heard of on this forum and other knowlegable people

The first vet is good but agree is not as knowlegable with rats. Thanks for support and advice fingers crossed today goes smoothly

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 am

Taz survived the op :) we're keeping an eye on her still as they were unable to dress the wound and needed to staple it as she chewed the first set of stitches an hour after the op. :rollred:

Am i right in thinking a majority of the healing takes 5 days ? so after 5 days even if she tries to remove the staples it is unlikely for the wound to open up ?

Update on smudge - she is back with her friends but still avoiding larger drier foods. We've managed to get her to eat chopped nuts, baby food and soft food like eggs she seems to be avoiding everything else. Vets booked for later what are your thoughts ?

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:52 pm

Hope Taz has continued to leave the wound alone :shock:

What did the vet say about Smudge? If it was choking, it sounds like a very atypical episode and much more severe as usually I'd just expect a sleepy day and maybe preferring to eat wet for ~12-24 hours max.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi amy

She has for a few days but we had a drama on Tuesday as she managed to pull one of the staples and I had no car so had to get a taxi to the vet which cost 65 quid :/ the wound itself didn't open up too much so we're still watching her 27 x 7 until we're at day 10 just to be safe. Could do with some sleep!

Smudge we took her back and they said her teeth looked okay was the non rat savvy vet again she said to continue with antibiotics. I'm going to keep a close eye on her and take her back next week if it continues

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Sounds like it might be worth trying to make sure you can get appointments with the more rat savvy vet for non emergencies heh, I'd have thought they'd be a bit more concerned about her not eating dry food for a week. Does she seem normal other than the food issues? And did she get pain relief / anti-inflammatory? Assuming she's not just being picky because she's being given better options :lol:

(And eek @ Taz, behave :evil: )
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Yeah me too :/ i mentioned id been feeding her baby food and nuts as was worried as i didn't notice her eating. They checked her weight and she was okay its strange almost like she is being cautious maybe im not sure. I'm keeping a close eye on her and if shes still behaving strangely i will take her back to see steve he's really good.

I'm hoping taz leaves her staples alone only two days till were on day 10 and can relax a little ! tazzy !

Return to “Health”