Is he dying?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Ec_Kelly91

Is he dying?

Post by Ec_Kelly91 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:44 pm

I have 2 rats one brown and one white with a brown hood and stripe down his back who we suspect is the eldest. He's always been the fatty out the two. Over the past 2 months roughly I've noticed his hair getting thinner but it was getting grey too so just put it down to the hair lightening that it looked more sparse. More recently we've come to think that maybe he is blind/losing vision. He doesn't seem to notice you're there until he has a sniff so it's more like he can smell you rather than see you.

For the last 2 weeks they have both been living with my parents. Mum noticed that Archer (the brown one) was stealing Edgar's food so began hand feeding him to make sure he was getting enough to eat as we'd noticed he was getting thinner.

I got them back last night, took Edgar out the cage and noticed he had a very small amount of dried blood on his front legs and he was curling his front paws under when he was walking and being held. Even over the past 2 weeks he has deteriorated drastically. I was actually quite shocked when I held him. He's just skin and bone.

Sorry for the long post but I'm devastated and want to do what ever I can to get him better if I can. Our other rat seems perfectly happy and healthy although a little over weight. I don't know what to do and just hope someone can help me.

Feline

Re: Is he dying?

Post by Feline » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

How old is he?
Sounds to me like you need to get him to a vet checkup asap. Good luck.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:35 pm

That sounds like a pituitary tumour to me. You could try steroids and galastop. Sorry he's unwell.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Ec_Kelly91

Post by Ec_Kelly91 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm unsure what age he is but we've had them 2 years in March

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 am

At that age I'd say it's very likely a PT with those symptoms. Take this to your vet http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pi ... _tumor.php

I've never had any success treating them as not all PTs are prolactinomas so they don't all respond to galastop but others have. I usually have them put to sleep sadly.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Return to “Health”