Treatment for crystals/blood in urine

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
LucyD

Treatment for crystals/blood in urine

Post by LucyD » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi,
I found bloody pee in my girls' cage a few weeks ago, and after a two days of checking everyone individually they all seemed clear so I put it down to a red wooden bird toy they had which I then removed.

Then last Sunday I realised Boomer had quite red pee so took her to the vets the next day. She's been eating and drinking normally and isn't showing any sign of been in pain. She has lost a bit off weight though, I don't weigh them as often as I perhaps should but I think she's lost about 70g since November. She has been getting less fresh food since then though as I thought I was over feeding a bit, I also got 3 kittens in November so she's been moving around more keeping up with them.

The vet gave her a week of clavaseptin, 50mg twice a day but she finished the course and there's still blood in her pee. I took her back last night and saw a different vet thinking she would get more ABs but the vet said if they were going to work the pee would be clear by now. I left her with I sample I syringed from the cage to test and when she phoned me back said there were crystals as well as the blood and suggested an ultrasound, which is booked for Thursday.

Basically I'm just wanting to check that an ultasound sounds like the right course of action, or if there's something else I should have asked for. The vet last night was really nice but she didn't seem as Rat savvy as the vet I've seen previously.

Thanks,
Lucy
Lucy
With ratty girls Dolly, Boomer, Nala, Luna and Oswin

Wilcox_87

Re: Treatment for crystals/blood in urine

Post by Wilcox_87 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:34 am

How did the ultrasound go? I have not had this problem before but if ABs didn't work then it sounds like a quite good/non-invasive method to try to establish a cause. It is good that she is still drinking normally. Hopefully it is just an infection and a second course of ABs will do the job :luck:
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

LucyD

Re: Treatment for crystals/blood in urine

Post by LucyD » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Her ultrasound came back all clear, no stones or blockages, so she has a 2 week course of septrin to try. I had lots of fun trying to get her to take that last night! I've just gone to the shops to stock up on tasty things to hide it in.

She's still eating and drinking normally, and she's bright and alert. She doesn't seem to be peeing very much though. The vet was reluctant to prescribe painkillers yesterday but I think I'll phone in the morning to see if I can get some. She's not moving like she's in pain but if it is hurting her to pee obviously I need to do something. I have some kids ibuprofen I can try tonight.

Lucy
Lucy
With ratty girls Dolly, Boomer, Nala, Luna and Oswin

Return to “Health”