Does she have depression?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
gracierocket

Does she have depression?

Post by gracierocket » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi all,

So, three months ago, we lost our first rat, Uhura, bringing our colony down from 6 girls, to 5. The colony in general picked up pretty quickly after Uhura died, but Uhura's sister, Estraven, still doesn't seem to be over it. They were close, and none of the other rats are blood relatives.

She sleeps *a lot*, only really gets animated and excited about food, and stays in the cage most of the time even though this means she usually goes to bed on her own (we leave the cage doors open most of the time, and the other four rats have a preferred bolt hole on the other side of the room). She rarely comes out to explore unless we make her. She's always been a fairly indolent rat, and she's quite overweight as a result, but in the past she's always seemed cheerful (bruxed a lot, very friendly), and now she's not. No other signs of infection or illness that we can see, though I'm taking her to the vets this week just to check.

If it's depression, what do we do to cheer her up? She already has plenty of companionship/space/time out of the cage etc. I'm thinking just a lot more TLC, and some more exciting enrichment activities? She really hates being stroked (always has) though likes being around people.

RedFraggle

Re: Does she have depression?

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 pm

I had a similar issue when one of my boys lost his "bestie" and don't have any advice. Clive died for no reason a month after Trevor and was only 18 months. In hindsight I wish I'd added a couple of new youngsters to shift the dynamic so maybe that's an idea. Sorry I don't have anything more positive but the post has had no response so wanted to throw that in.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

gracierocket

Re: Does she have depression?

Post by gracierocket » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Your poor sad rat!

As it happens, we are due to get a couple of new babies in about a month, so hopefully she can hang on until then...

Return to “Health”