Old age, Ill or injured?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Buzzwizz619

Old age, Ill or injured?

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:34 pm

My little old man Ronnie hasnt been himself for the last few days, usually hes constantly off on his little adventures and getting upto mischief for the whole of free range time (and usually get extra time because he soooo adorable <3) but for the last few days after having an initial play he just comes and sits near me or on me, and he never does that. Hes a very friendly boy but he would much rather be off on his own exploring than being stroked or having cuddles.

Age - it could be old age as he is 1 1/2 or older, possibly much older i dont know.

Injury - A few days ago Ruben chased Ronnie around the living room and they *may* of fallen off the sofa/windowsil/cage, im not sure it all happens in such a whirl wind when scraps start! Wondering if hes possibly pulled a muscle or something as its only been since he was chasing him that ive noticed him not being himself

Illness - His chest sounds fine, hes eating and drinking as normal and theres no obvious signs of him being unwell, he also does still play and explore just not as much as usual, its not like hes lethargic or anything but always a possibilty that there is something underlying.

I was thinking about trying him on some metacam see if that help, but for the life of me i cant find the bottle i had... although i still have the recipet for it which isnt awfully helpful lol

should i give him a few more days see how he goes or should i take him the vets? is there anything that works similar to metacam that i could try him on?

Thanks

Amy

RedFraggle

Re: Old age, Ill or injured?

Post by RedFraggle » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Sorry he's under the weather. I wouldn't bother with metacam as that's for pain. How is his front paw coordination and is he bruxing more than usual? That general slowing down can sometimes be early symptoms of a pituitary tumour and I've noticed in my own rats that they seem to get more vocal around that time too.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Buzzwizz619

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:46 am

His co-ordination seems fine, when he is playing hes playing as normal hes just not playing for very long. He is also no more vocal than usual, in fact the only time he ever make a noise is when i need to steal back off him whatever yummy snack he has stole from me <3.

Its all started since Ruben was chasing him which is why im wondering if it could be a sprain or some sort of injury, or its possible that Ruben is just being a bully and he wants to just keep out of his way instead? Mabey ill see how he goes having free range seperate to ruben tonight.

Thanks Amy

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:53 pm

That sounds like a good idea.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Griz

Post by Griz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Have you tried to feel him all over? If it is a sprained muscle he will most likely either squeak or move away.

Return to “Health”