Underweight?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Bilbo

Underweight?

Post by Bilbo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm a little worried about my new girl chaser,to me she looks underweight I noticed this more last night when I let them free range for the first time.We were told she was about 14 weeks old when we got her so she will be just under 16 weeks. Today I weighed her and she is 156 gms does this sound normal?
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Wilcox_87

Re: Underweight?

Post by Wilcox_87 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:36 am

Hi,

that does sound rather light but it purely depends on how big your girl is (for example one of my 18 week boys who I am trying to feed up is a little on the skinny side and weighs 375g but he is extremely tall and long). The best way to judge if she is getting the right amount of food is to look at the shape of her tail at the base. She should have a nice plump round tail but a square "match-stick" tail is an indicator of poor nutrition either in early life or possibly even in the womb. Is she a new intro or did you get others with her? You might want to up her protein a little, dry pasta can also be a good way of putting weight on as long as they still get a balanced diet. Do you have a similar sized/aged rat to compare her weight to?
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:04 am

Chaser lives with two older girls and I looked at her tail ands its quite square. She is a new intro we have had her just under two weeks. I feed them on a rat rations diet with daily rat 3 in their evening meal. I'm taking her to the vets today as I'm just not happy with her, her breathing seems a little noisy.To be honest I'm worried sick.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:39 am

Poor girl! Let us know how she gets on.
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Back from the vets he says he thinks it may be a virus, he seemed very vague about this infact he seemed very vague in general. I kept asking him questions but didn't get anywhere. He has put her on 0.2ml of dog metacam once a day. I'm going to post another thread asking for recommended vets in my area.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I would have thought that he would have given her baytril just in case as in my experience chesty sounds tend to be bacterial rather than viral. A second opinion can never hurt :luck:

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:13 pm

I told him she didn't seem to want to eat much and could he check her teeth. He did but just said they didn't meet in the middle! and her tounge looked OK.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 am

I am getting more concerned about chaser. She seems to be struggling to eat, even soft food like porridge and babyfood is dripping from her mouth. I tried to give her some malt paste just to see if she can eat it but she is turning her head away. She did nibble on a hard treat but she eats all food slowly and then gives up. She is drinking. I am working in the morning but my husband is going to ring the vets that was recommended to me on here and try and get her in. This will mean he will only be able to take her as he can't manage to get all three in the carrier, although they have only been together two weeks there bond is strong. Do you think there will be any problems if she is separated from the other two while she goes to the vet?
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 am

Bilbo wrote:I told him she didn't seem to want to eat much and could he check her teeth. He did but just said they didn't meet in the middle! and her tounge looked OK.
If her teeth don't meet in the middle, that's malocclusion, and the teeth will start to overgrow. It's very serious... he doesn't sound like a very knowledgeable vet. :?
Bilbo wrote:...Do you think there will be any problems if she is separated from the other two while she goes to the vet?
No, none at all - although they may be very interested in investigating any new smells on her. ;)

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:44 am

No unfortunately he didn't seem very good at all, I'm not sure what he ment about the teeth not meeting, I did ask him a few times but he just said its not a problem.I really hope we can get her an appointment with the new vet first thing. I have never herd of malocclusion until you just mentioned it, I have looked on some posts on here and goodness me I hope its not that :shock:
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Took Chaser to the new vets and my husband said they were great. Unfortunately poor Chaser has pneumonia she gave us antibiotic's for her so fingers crossed. Has anyone got any experience with this with their rat?
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Rachelpip

Post by Rachelpip » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm

How's Chaser doing now, Bilbo?

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Chaser is still poorly she is on antibiotics and some other meds and on the vets advice i am trying to get her to put weight on by giving her babyfood,little and often She was at the vets again today and she back on Friday. The vet says if there is no improvement soon then as a last resort she will give her a steroid injection. She does seem a little better to me this evening. We have only had her a couple of weeks but we are already totally in love with her,she's such a sweet and loving girl and we are doing all we can to get her better.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:36 pm

I hope that she is feeling a bit better by now, did the new vet say anything about her teeth?

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:06 pm

We can see a big improvement today and the vet is really pleased with her,chaser has even put weight on :D she is a lot more active. Also the vet days her teeth are fine.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Return to “Health”