Vision deterioration in pink eyed white

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Wilcox_87

Vision deterioration in pink eyed white

Post by Wilcox_87 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:27 am

Hi all,

over the past few days I have noticed a behaviour change in Frank, my pink-eyed white. He seems to have lost a lot of his confidence when free ranging and instead just sits in his tube on the floor until it is time to go back in the cage. He has also started swaying his head a lot since Thursday as if he is really struggling to see. He is 5 months old and I have had him for 7 weeks. He has always been the most confident of the group until recently and I have never seen him head sway before so I am thinking it is not a coincidence. Tonight is the first night that I am free ranging in the room where their cage is as I have eventually made it rat-proof, I have put a ramp up to their door and the other boys are happily popping in and out but Frank is just sitting at the top of the ramp, swaying his head from side to side and refusing to come out. The other two keep trying to persuade him to no avail. Is it possible that his sight has gone downhill so quickly? I know that pink-eyes are not great for vision but I was not aware that their vision would appear to change so dramatically in such a short time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Rose.
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

bazu

Re: Vision deterioration in pink eyed white

Post by bazu » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:18 am

I've had PEWs (and other rats) go completely blind, but never that young. Also, while it's obviously going to be different by each individual case, I've never known them to get more cautious with it - they don't rely on sight much even when it's 100%, so in a PEW's case especially I wouldn't have thought they'd be bothered at all. In my Myst's case, she got ever more reckless if anything! :lol:

Maybe his age makes a difference in this case, or maybe it's just affected him as a personal thing, but otherwise, is it possible something else could have spooked him? Maybe a different smell in the environment (even one you can't pick up on), or a weird/loud noise or an accident recently that could have left him wary? (It might be that he's swaying now because he's more cautious, rather than losing sight?)

Just putting a few other possibilities out there! I hope the poor little guy gets on okay~ :luck:
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

Wilcox_87

Re: Vision deterioration in pink eyed white

Post by Wilcox_87 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks bazu! The only real change that I can think of is that he has lost his place at the top of the pack to Sammy, who occasionally reminds him by pinning him down at random opportunities. Apart from that the only real change has been the room where I free range but his confidence went downhill while he was still in the bathroom which is where I have free ranged since I got them and the used to love it in there :cry: They were all treated with Ivermectin last week, and thinking about it that was probably about the time that I started seeing big changes in him but he didn't seem to be too scared when it was applied so I can't really see that being the cause. It is just really upsetting to see him like this when I know how much he likes to be out.
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

Return to “Health”