Still very thin

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Bilbo

Still very thin

Post by Bilbo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Chaser is doing well and has recovered from her pneumonia, She is putting weight on and is enjoying eating but she is still very thin and small. I still give her babyfood everyday to try and help her gain a little more and she tucks into this plus what she has with the others.is there anything else I should be doing to help her? And do rats ever really recover from an illness like pneumonia. I can't understand why she is still so small.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

squeakrat

Re: Still very thin

Post by squeakrat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Some rats are just a small build. It could be influenced by her mum not getting enough nutrients during pregnancy or nursing for example. Plus if she is still young and has been ill, that could have an effect as well. I'd just continue with the extras and see how she gets on.
Jenny x
:girly: Elfine :dumbogirly: Ada
:rattyrainbow: Scout, Daisy, Meg, Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 am

I'm not as clued up on nutrition as some people, but as far as I'm aware, babyfood isn't particularly beneficial for rats... it's often a tasty way to disguise meds, and being soft it can encourage rats to eat if they don't fancy dry food, but otherwise, I can't see it being useful for weight gain.

If a rat needs feeding up I would think it better to give cooked carbs and add a high calorie supplement like nutrical, or you could order some 'weight-up baby!' from the rat warehouse.

(ETA - I'm assuming by 'babyfood' you mean human baby food. Humans grow relatively slowly compared with rats, so that's why it doesn't have the concentration levels needed for feeding up rats.)

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Thank you I will look at the 'weight up baby' food, that sounds like a good idea.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Return to “Health”