Claw question

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
chemikaze

Claw question

Post by chemikaze » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:43 am

Of my two rats, Flicker is the smaller less toned of the two. She is also lacking any length to her claws whatsoever. All of them are there but they stop at the quick. I feed ratrations and provide dailyrat3, they get a good amount of fresh foods and Shift is in fine form with super muscles and the ability to clear 2ft in a single jump.

What I'm wondering is whether Flicker has stumpy claws for a reason, genetic or ootherwise and whether anyone else has had this with their rat. For all I know she sits there rocking in the corner and chewing them off while I'm asleep! :lol:
Shift & Flicker, Lilium & Balthazaar
:dumborainbow: Styx, Taibhse, Odio, K-Flex, Ymber, Bubbles

acapae_wolf

Re: Claw question

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:03 pm

chemikaze wrote:For all I know she sits there rocking in the corner and chewing them off while I'm asleep! :lol:
Pretty much - some rats trim their own nails. It's a handy trait if you show as it means less prep :P

It's less likely to be an issue with a doe than a buck, but just keep an eye on it when she's old. With nerve-based HLD, rats who trim their own nails can sometimes go a bit too far due to loss of feeling. It's not usually a problem (unless they're e.g. British blue or RED-based), just something to keep an eye on.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Helzie
Admin Aide

Re: Claw question

Post by Helzie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Whjat Acapae _wolf said - I had a boy who considerately trimmed his own toenails and was also very long lived - but there came a point when he was very old when he didn't know when to stop and we had issues with him trimming them til they bled. Silly boy.

I still have a few who do their own manicures, and I'm grateful not to have to do it myself! They generally offer to do my nails too, which is less welcome.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Return to “Health”