Sick old boy

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Susie Pink 70

Sick old boy

Post by Susie Pink 70 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:49 pm

My rat fizz is 22 months so not so old really. His back legs went last week, he's been to the vets got anti b's & painkillers which he won't take, even in food. He just lies on us, sleeps loads, he is such a gorgeous friendly boy but I'm thinking that I should put him to sleep. Doesn't seem fair. His brother had a respiratory problem and was put to sleep 5 months ago, both pet store brought x

izzerie
Admin Aide

Re: Sick old boy

Post by izzerie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:13 am

Have his back legs declined over a period of time or did they go suddenly? If they went suddenly that would suggest something like an injury or a stroke. Does he have any pain in his spine or pelvis? Can he feel his feet and tail if you light squeeze them?
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

acapae_wolf

Re: Sick old boy

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:13 am

I agree with Marie - we need more detail. But I'm also interested in why the vet put him on ABs; is he dealing with another health issue too?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Health”