My rat is loosing her eye tomorrow =[

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Jakk

My rat is loosing her eye tomorrow =[

Post by Jakk » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Hello all,

As the title says sadly our 1.5 year old rat Cadbury is having her right eye removed tomorrow after a nasty injury that we think was caused by her cage mate during a scrap. They have been together since we first bought them, they get on just fine but they squabble now and then.

So she will now be blind on her right side. we have them separated until she is all healed up. My question is, what precautions should we take when reintroducing them together now that she will be partially sighted?

Many thanks!

Jack & Bri

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: My rat is loosing her eye tomorrow =[

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 am

I wouldn't separate them, rats rarely interfere with each other's wounds, and they will recover better with company.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:33 am

If they generally get on well then I agree, don't separate them. In fact, I would recommend you bring them both to the vets when Cadbury goes in for her operation, so that she has her friend with her when she comes round.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Jakk

Post by Jakk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks guys unfortunately due to the time difference (I live in the UK) she has already gone in for the op. he vet recommended we separate them because of risk of infection and further scrapping. But they do seem pretty down separated from each other =[

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:34 pm

We'll keep fingers and paws crossed that it goes well! See what they are like together when your girl is out of the op - her friend may well be a comfort to her as she recovers. She'll be fine I'm sure - one eye won't affect her quality of life.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Jakk wrote:Thanks guys unfortunately due to the time difference (I live in the UK)
So do we, this is a UK forum :)

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 pm

I had a rat with one eye and he was absolutely fine. He'd sometimes turn round suddenly if you approached him from his blind side but he would soon realise it was you and settle. He had no issues with introductions or general life. As disabilities go, losing an eye for a rat is one of the better ones :)
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:18 am

I've got a rescue boy with only one eye, I think it was removed after a bad scrap too, and that's why they were all neutered. He gets on absolutely fine with it, and is just as active and cheeky as everyone else! You just have to be a bit gentle when approaching his blind side as izzerie said, but other than that, I think he's done really well with it. He did mouth a bit when we first got him but so did his brothers so I think that's more of a general habit than one to do with his eye!
Leah

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I have had a four rats who needed eyes removing and they were all absolutely fine. Took it utterly in their stride :)
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

Return to “Health”