Bald neck

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
purpleratti3

Bald neck

Post by purpleratti3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone can help. My Russian Dove agouti boy Floyd has developed a bald neck, just under his chin and the front of his neck, its not red or sore, just bald!

I treated him with ivermectin for mites a couple of weeks ago as he had a few scabby bits. He has been more grumpy than normal the last couple of months but the hierarchy has been reshuffling so just thought it was him trying to find his place.

He's fine within himself, just bald. I have had a boy who used to pull his own fur out, but it would be impossible for him to have done this to himself and quite tricky for anyone else to do I would think?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
:oldbuck: Merlin :oldbuck: Marvin :dumbo: Herbie
:dumbo: Harvey :dumboteen: Chester

[cub]

Re: Bald neck

Post by [cub] » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm not an expert (really should add that to my signature!) but I would have thought it's quite plausible that somebody else has done this to Floyd, if Floyd isn't top of the hierarchy? My dominant girls pin their subordinates on their backs and forcibly groom their faces. In my group, the dominant rat usually goes for the side of the face, but the subordinate rat's chin and neck are also fully accessible in that position, so maybe someone in your group likes to groom Floyd there, and has been going at it too often or too roughly and taken all the fur off.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Hmmm, thank you for your thoughts. I do have a power-groomer in my group but he tends to clean their ears, vigorously! Floyd is quite a 'substantial' :roll: boy and Lenny the groomer is my smallest adult boy so not sure if he could get Floyd on his back, I have an image of Floydy getting stuck on his back like a beached whale :oops:

I will keep a closer eye on them and see if I spot anything. One thing Floyd does seem obsessed with is their stainless steel coop cup water bowl, he's always rubbing against it, but there are no sharp edges so not sure it's anything to do with this either?

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:43 am

Is he a rex? How old is he?
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:40 am

He's 17 months old with a standard coat.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:19 am

Don't underestimate a small alpha, mine is about 550g and he can flip Bisley who is 750g over.
Walter also barbers and I have a feeling he does it as he really has to exert his authority because his two cagemates are soooo much bigger than him
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:16 pm

purpleratti3 wrote:He's 17 months old with a standard coat.
That rules out my theory of an old rex then :lol: Most of my old rexes have gone bald on their necks ;)
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks guys.

I've had baldy rexy boys in the past, part of their rexy charm :hearts:

Will keep an eye on Lenny, maybe he has taken over as alpha, he was wrestling with my former alpha Dylan the other night and does spend a lot of time alone in 'his' stack-a-fuzz! Perhaps he's running his empire from there :lol:

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 am

purpleratti3 wrote:One thing Floyd does seem obsessed with is their stainless steel coop cup water bowl, he's always rubbing against it, but there are no sharp edges so not sure it's anything to do with this either?
I don't think sharp edges would be necessary for fur to get rubbed off; the friction alone could do it if he rubs his chin/neck against it enough. It would have to be quite a lot though, so barbering by one of the others seems more likely to me. Definitely don't underestimate Lenny: my largest rat is basically at the bottom of the hierarchy, and gets pinned and groomed by youngsters almost half her size! (She's 375g, and the youngsters are 200-230g. :shock: ) She could just stand up and throw her considerable weight around if she wanted to, and occasionally she gets fed up and does so, but most of the time she just can't be bothered... :lol: :roll: :hearts:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Health”