Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Traumatised by Baytril?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:36 pm 

Hello all,

I'm having a lot of trouble with one of my boys. He's got a problem with his skin at the moment and has been prescribed Baytril. Usually, I give all meds straight from the syringe because I've had limited success giving meds in foods before, however last night when I tried to give Finch his first dose he absolutely freaked - I've literally never seen a rat get so wound up before. After a stressful few minutes I managed to get about half of it in/on him, but then he bolted to the back of the cage and since has been very wary of coming out.

This morning I tried putting it in Bovril, usually a favourite, but he soon clocked what it was and wouldn't come near me, snapping at the spoon and my hand, and so I had to get my flatmate to help me hold him down and force it, and again received the same reaction of bolting and hiding straight after.

It sort of seems that my only option right now is to give it via syringe, but I don't want him to end up being traumatised by the experience and learn not to trust me, as it's taken a while for him to get comfortable with me anyway. Is it wise to continue the 'tough love' or is there any other way of getting him to take it?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do :(

Post subject: Re: Traumatised by Baytril?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:50 pm 

How is Finch doing now?

I think that I have been quite lucky with mine in the past as I have never had too much of a problem getting Baytril into them. Bovril sounded like a really good idea and if he didn't take it in that then I am not sure what would work as Bovril is a very strong taste. Have you tried something creamy like yogurt or mashed banana? I had a girl who suffered from recurrent URIs and was on Bayrtil every few months and this usually worked with her. Sorry that I cannot offer much in the way of useful information, maybe someone will suggest other things that have worked for them in the past.

Good luck :luck:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:02 pm 

Thanks for your reply, I did have a go with some yogurt, but with no joy :( Unfortunately I'm living life as a skint uni student at the moment, so I haven't really got the spare cash to testing all sorts of foods with him. Currently I've had a little bit of success diluting the baytril with blackcurrant squash and giving it straight down the throat, but instead of the stressful experience of trying to hold him still with one hand I've sort of been wrapping him up in a towel like a little rat burrito and giving it that way :lol: He seems to be fine in himself so far, and hasn't had any major tantrums since the first few days. Obviously he still hates it, but I think because he knows it'll be over and done with quickly and he can return to his cage he's less worried about it

Definitely not his favourite person at the moment, but he hasn't been getting aggressive with me or been wary about being picked up, so hopefully I'm not emotionally damaging him too much and he's getting used to it.

Fingers crossed his skin will sort itself out soon - definitely don't want to be going through the stress of tablet form doxycycline if the vet thinks he needs additional abs!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 pm 

Have you tried putting it on bread and smearing nutella over it?
Doxy is usually easy, mix the crushed tablets with nutella and smear it on bread or a cornflake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:44 pm 

Hey,

Whenever I have had to give medication, including Baytril, I put it into yoghurt. Usually a Rolo or MilkyBar yoghurt. Obviously they can be quite fatty if given too much but usually the smell can over power the smell of the medication. You will get it down them extremely quickly.

I usually get half a tea spoon of yoghurt and squirt the medication on top of it, and literally stir it in with your finger until it completely mixes. Or you can even do it in a small bowl.

Iv tried injecting medication into food, syringing directly of mixing in juice, and all either didn't work or was very unpleasant for the rat. Using these yoghurts They will actually look forward to it, so t becomes less of a chore.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:23 pm 

Are you using injectable baytril or is it already mixed with flavouring? If it hasn't been mixed, baytril is caustic. I mix mine with pancake syrup at a ratio of 50:50.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:30 pm 

I know its a late post, how is your boy doing?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 am 

Very sadly he had to be pts yesterday - nothing related to his skin problem, but something that I'm quite concerned about so will probably start a separate thread on here :(

In the end all of my boys were moved back home with my mum because I couldn't have them in my flat anymore, and so I told her to continue on injecting it, mixed with a small amount of squash, and a towel if need be because I knew she wouldn't have time to sit with him for very long in the morning. He was always a fussy little thing , so my gut instinct is that mixing it with anything would have resulted in several half eaten doses and medicine wasted because he won't go near it at all. I know it sounds really mean but at least I knew then that he'd had the full dose and swallowed it.

Very torn up about him going, I wasn't home when it happened so a bit of a shock, I don't know how to deal with the grief without having the others here to take my mind off it :(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

Very sorry for your loss! Play hard at the bridge little Finch :rattyrainbow:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health