Barbering, double rex, or something else?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Rosabee

Barbering, double rex, or something else?

Post by Rosabee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:31 pm

I have two female rats, Mabel and Dipper. Mabel has large bald spots on her body (photo link at the bottom) which at first I assumed was due to barbering from Dipper (the dominant rat, they fight quite a bit but they don't draw blood or anything) but now I'm not sure. I've read that barbering is often due to boredom, but I make sure to let them free roam for at least 30 minutes a day and they have a good amount of toys and hiding holes, and I also give them new paper scraps and toilet paper tubes etc. daily.

I found out yesterday about double rex rats and I think that Mabel might be one, but I'm not sure because I don't know about the parent rats. They were adopted at about a year old and we weren't given any information about the rats previous living condition/parents/diet etc. At first, Mabel had two small bald spots (head and back) which grew back over time, but like I said earlier she now has quite large bald spots. I also read that double rex rats usually have curly fur but Mabel's fur is straight.

I don't think the balding is due to lice/mites because she rarely scratches herself and her skin has no signs of bumps or rashes or anything like that. And I don't think it's due to malnutrition because her diet is the same is Dippers (oxbow adult rat food, with occasional seeds for treats).

Anyway, the point is I'm wondering if Mabel's bald spots are due to barbering or if she's perhaps a double rex? And if not, does she have some other health condition? If it's due to barbering, is there anything I can I do to stop it aside from continuing to distract them with toys and free roam time?

Here's a picture of Mabel: http://oi66.tinypic.com/2hwfma1.jpg

RedFraggle

Re: Barbering, double rex, or something else?

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 pm

How old is she and how long have you had her.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Ps: I'd be very surprised if that's barbering, it's pretty extreme
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter

Rosabee

Post by Rosabee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:11 pm

RedFraggle wrote:How old is she and how long have you had her.
I got her six months ago and was told she was about a year old, so she's around a year and a half old now

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:40 pm

She's not double rex.

Usually barbering results in very smooth patches with no hair growth, and your girl's patches seem uneven - I would suspect possibly a skin condition or hormone inbalance. I'd pop her along to a good vet for their opinion.

fryingpansam

Post by fryingpansam » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:39 pm

One of my elderly rats looks like your balding rat! For some reason her sister has taken to barbering her and I've caught her in the act; this behaviour started couple of months ago. I'll take a photo of my barbered rat later and post it here.

Since I am not a vet, I am only guessing it is barbering. Only a vet would really know what's going on.

fryingpansam

Post by fryingpansam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:17 am

Here is the photo I promised of my barbered rat who is 2 years and four months old. Okay, I can't post the photo because I don't see an 'attach image' option that normally looks like a paperclip. Someone help!

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:04 am

Return to “Health”