Alspan (Alder wood) toxic for rats????

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Rat_lover16

Alspan (Alder wood) toxic for rats????

Post by Rat_lover16 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:27 pm

I moved to Finland and all pet shops used this bedding so assumed it was ok to use.... but all four healthy rats (lost 2 to resp probs) are going down hill (sneezing)

But I have found Alder wood is toxic on one site but I want your advice.... is it toxic? if so (im changing tomorrow anyway) when I change it will it stop sneezing?? No mucus leaking or loss of appetite or lethargy is present yet..... they are hyperatic babies still and will snatch treats off me xD and play with me still.

Thank you x

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: Alspan (Alder wood) toxic for rats????

Post by Mayamy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm afraid I don't have any specific knowledge about alder wood outside of anything I google. However, if you've noticed the sneezing start since you used the bedding, then switching to another one, as you're doing, seems sensible - even if it's not due to the wood, there could be some dust involved or just something they're sensitive too. Sometimes rats do get a bit sneezy with a new environment, but I'd wouldn't usually expect that to last more than a few days, so if it's just been irritating them, the sneezing should die down.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Return to “Health”