Help - wounded rat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
hjanders

Help - wounded rat

Post by hjanders » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:52 am

Help! We have just found this wound on one of our baby rats (13 weeks old). She lives with 2 litter mates and 3 other rats (11 months old). There's been some fighting in the cage recently but nothing awful. She seems ok in herself. The wound looks clean but deep and about 1 cm long. Do we need to get it seen by a vet? Do you think it needs stitching? Should we separate her from the others while it heals?

Popcorn, Me-Me and Nelle
Never to be forgotten: Trixie, Paws, Tica, Doris and Bella ❤️

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Help - wounded rat

Post by Rhian33 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:31 pm

That looks like it should heal overnight. I don't see the need for stitches. Just keep an eye on it
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:03 pm

I've seen similar before and it healed up just fine by itself. I left my girl with her sister overnight and by the next morning I initially wasn't sure I'd picked up the right rat, it sealed up so quickly. I'd keep half an eye on the group though, as if the fighting's significant enough it could be worth kind of redoing some the "intros" to persuade them to behave better :lol:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

petty254-

Post by petty254- » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:18 pm

The wound looks deep but nothing to worry about, that will heal in no time. Just have to keep an eye on the cage to ensure the fighting is toned down.

Return to “Health”