Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: New owner to rats
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 pm 

Have never kept rats before, have had mice and hampsters. I had 2 young boys (12 weeks old) and they were really great. However whilst at work the other day, I came home to find one had started to eat the other ! I am really upset, especially as he ate the friendly of the 2. My problem is my feelings towards the remaining rat, should I keep it and put it down to nature. Will he be ok on his own. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: New owner to rats
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:52 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I am sorry you've had this experience. :(

Your rat will not have killed his cagemate, he will have died through illness or accident. However, some rats will instinctively dispose of a dead body out of fear that it might attract a predator. So there is no reason to worry about your surviving rat's nature.

The first thing you need to do is try to establish whether he is fit and well, because he will need new companions asap. If the rat who died was ill, there's a possibility that your remaining boy is at risk, so ask a good vet to check him over.

If he is still fine in a fortnight, then you'll be able to introduce a couple of kittens to him. I'd start looking for some now, as it may take a while.

Where did your boys come from?

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:33 pm 

Thank you, that makes me feel slightly better. My son brought them from pets at home, whilst I was on holiday and although not my choice, I really like there characters and can see why they make great pets. He seems ok, so we will watch him closely for a while. Where do you suggest we should get some kittens from ? :)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:52 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Contact your local rescue centres, and breeders who are reasonably nearby (rats travel very well, so even if it means a daytrip, it will be worth it)- the list of those registered with the NFRS can be downloaded here http://www.nfrs.org/findingabreeder.html.

Good luck :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

We'll update on Patch, although he is still a very nervous chap, handling him daily is helping. We are both starting to bond. I am now on the look out for some kittens for him as he looks lonely - missing his previous friend. Can see why they make such great pets as they are such curious characters.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:33 pm 

So may have the chance if some kittens due this week. Should I get 2 or 3. Obviously will need to research how to move them in with patch so that he is ok with his new buddies ( will be boys)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:27 pm 

A good age to introduce kittens is around 9-10 weeks, so they are big enough to defend themselves but still small enough to hopefully not be seen as a threat by the adults. The best and safest way of introducing is to use the carrier method, details are here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=52

A couple of kittens would be great for Patch, they will provide him with the company he needs but they would also have each other if he wasn't in the mood for playing! I'm not sure whether having 3 would make a difference or not, maybe someone else can advise you there :luck:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health