Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Tumour
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 pm 

Hi, I noticed that my 29 month old girl has a tumour under her front armpit. It's about 2cm round and feels like a lump of fat under the skin. It's not attached to her body inside (i can move it separately from her body but it's firmly attached to the skin). I'm not sure how long it's been there because it's right next to another benign growth that she's had for months (that one is hairless and they have nothing to do with each other) and she doesn't like me touching around it so I don't. As the benign has got longer and she's started to step on it, the skin around has started to stretch and I've put and subtle changes around that area down to that, however I noticed this lump yesterday. We've rung the vet and the earliest appointment they have with a vet that knows anything worthwhile about rats is on thursday so I was wondering if anyone knows whether it sounds dangerous or not. Sadly, I think it is probably quite serious because she woke up with a load of porphyrin around her nose and eyes and her younger cage mates are picking on her and trying to become boss. Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Tumour
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am 
Fancy Rats Team

It sounds like a mammary tumour. These are very common in rats. Although they are usually benign, they can grow large, causing mobility issues and, if left, they can ulcerate. Fortunately they can usually be removed fairly easily by lumpectomy. :luck:

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health