Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: HLD
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:03 am 

Monty, now 34 months old has HLD. The vets seem to think it is neurological rather than musculoskeletal. He has had it for a few months now and it has got progressively worse. When he walks on a flat floor he shuffles his feet so they don't actually lift off the floor. If he has to get over an edge, like the toilet he drags his back end over as he can't lift his legs. His front end is compensating very well and he can manage to pull himself up onto low level hammocks. In free range yesterday, I noticed that his back legs couldn't support him and his back end would flop to one side.

He is eating and drinking fine, still ambles over for scritches. One of my newbies is very assertive and poor Monty(who is neutered) gets mounted quite a bit, despite taking the group back to a smaller cage.

I am trying to keep him as long as I can but I am thinking it is almost time. Or am I jumping the gun?

Sweet dreams forever Lola, Willow, Amy, Jennings, Amber, Reggie, Cordelia, Saffy, Remi, Harvey, Penny, Tia, Bernie, Mika, Ruby, Pearl, Castiel, Simon, Luna, Bobby, Meg, Dru, Kristal, Misty, Garth, Zen, Sam, Alvin, Theo, Dean, Monty :rattyrainbow:

Post subject: Re: HLD
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:24 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I don't think many vets are clued up with regards to HLD. Given that it has progressed slowly, I don't think it will have a neurological cause.

I don't consider 'normal HLD' to be a reason for PTS, in my experience they cope very well, compensating by building up strength in their upper body as Monty is already doing. So long as they can keep themselves clean, and are able to get where they want to and are happy in themselves, then I let them get on with life. :)

I adapt the cage slightly by increasing the number of hammocks to provide a resting place on the way up (if they need it, which they often don't), and a place to throw themselves onto as they flip-flop back down. I don't move to a smaller cage, they stay in an open duetto or SRS.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health