Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Diabetes
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 am 

Dean, who is 26 months old, I suspect has diabetes. I noticed he was drinking a lot, last Saturday he sat there for 15 minutes at the water bottle, drinking and looking like he was falling asleep and very lethargic. So I got an appointment at the vets. He didn't pee at the vets so couldn't test it. His chest was rattly so he was put on doxy. He had been respy on and off for months. The vet didn't want to give him a steroid as it would make him drink more as well. I tested some pee that was in the carrier when we got back and the ketones was really high.

I have put them on a kidney friendly diet from rat rations and trying to feed low GI food only. His drinking seemed to reduce and he was a bit more active. But this morning he was back at the water bottle exactly like last Saturday. I have 8 rats, who have all drunk from the same bottle (even though they have 2), and it has gone down 150ml in 15 hours, which is WAY more than usual.

He was a big buck, weighing over 650g, now he weighs 600g.

Is there anything else I can do to help him, as I don't really want to have to give him injections.

Post subject: Re: Diabetes
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm 

I had a diabetic rat who I injected insulin into twice a day.
It's not as hard as it seems, and the difference was amazing. Mine used to wee and drink constantly and that disappeared very quickly!

Post subject: Re: Diabetes
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, I had to have him put to sleep this morning. At breakfast time I noticed his eye was cloudy and bulging. The vet said it was a perforated eye. She said it would have to be removed and offered to stay behind this afternoon to do it. But when I thought about his breathing problems, his diabetes, his weight loss I decided not to put him through it, particularly as his breathing was very noisy.

Run free Dean, hope you find your brother Sam. :rattyrainbow:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health