Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Tail injury - advice please!
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 am 

Hi all,

I am a first time rat owner and picked up my two boys from a breeder just last night. I've got up this morning and noticed one of them has an injury/cut to his tail. It's about 1cm from the tip and goes all the way around. The tip also looks slightly blue? I'm guessing he's caught it in something. I've checked the photos I took of him last night and I can see it then so I know he's not injured it with me which is a relief, but can anyone tell me how worried I should be and if he needs to go to the vet? He will let me touch and it doesn't seem to bother him. Other than his tail he's really healthy and happy and currently falling asleep on my lap!

This is my first post on the forum, I'm gutted it's about an injury.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Tail injury - advice please!
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Hi (welcome to the forum! :) ) - sorry your first post is about this experience... it's possible the end of the tail will drop off and heal unaided, but there is a risk of infection, so I would recommend popping the little one along to a vet. They may want to hold off on antibiotics until and unless any of the rest of the tail becomes red and hot, but they may also prescribe a painkiller, either way, it's definitely worth having it checked out.

Also - let the breeder know, as they should take action over any likely causes, and may even contribute towards your vet costs.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post subject: Re: Tail injury - advice please!
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm 

Thank you for the advice Mary. I really appreciate it! I have booked him an appointment at the vets this afternoon. He doesn't seem bothered by it but as a first time rat mummy I can't help but panic a little!

I will contact the breeder as you suggested when I get back from the vets when I know more.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health