Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Bad eyesight
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm 

I have three gorgeous 9 week+ old male rats. Have had them for just over two weeks now. Two of them are lively and friendly and one is very shy and slow. The shy one is mostly white and has pink eyes and I have found out that such rats have bad vision. I noticed that it tends to rock back and forth and apparantly this is it's way of establishing some kind of depth of vision. I was wondering if I need to provide any extra care etc for him as I worry he may be missing out on food due to the other two finding the food first etc.

Post subject: Re: Bad eyesight
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 am 

Pinkfloyd1 wrote:
I have three gorgeous 9 week+ old male rats. Have had them for just over two weeks now. Two of them are lively and friendly and one is very shy and slow. The shy one is mostly white and has pink eyes and I have found out that such rats have bad vision. I noticed that it tends to rock back and forth and apparantly this is it's way of establishing some kind of depth of vision. I was wondering if I need to provide any extra care etc for him as I worry he may be missing out on food due to the other two finding the food first etc.

Rats tend not to depend on their eyesight too much - hearing and smell are their major senses, and probably touch after that (their whiskers are excellent at picking up vibrations in the air, feeling surfaces etc). For food in particular, they would pick it up by sniffing it out rather than searching visually for it, so there's nothing to worry about in that regard :)

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-two beautiful whiskery angels~

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am 
Fancy Rats Team

He should manage fine, but it's probably a good idea to establish a method of warning him that you are approaching e.g. say a particular word/phrase each time you want to pick him up.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 am 

Good Idea. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health