Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: How to store Oral Baytril Solution
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm 

Hei, So I took my mum rat and two daughters to the vet today.

Got Baytril and thankfully all lungs sound clear :) :)

But Baytril seems to crystallise quick.... 7 days max before it goes.. How do I store it to make it last longer.

I dont put it in sunlight, lid is on tight always.... not sure what else to do as its not a fridge storage type (not been told yes or no but read only injection form goes in the fridge)

Two weeks of fun for me ahead :lol: all three girls hate it but thankfully I can take advantage of the biting by being quick and pressing the plunger xD until they learn if they bite the syringe they get the dose haha

Post subject: Re: How to store Oral Baytril Solution
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm 

I have a "medicine chest" for the rats' Baytril and other medications/supplements. It's an opaque lunchbox so there's complete protection against light, and it's kept in the coolest room in the house (but not in the fridge). I've only had Baytril crystallise after many months; my current bottle is from last summer and it's still looking normal. If yours is crystallising within a week I'd be concerned about how fresh it was to begin with...

Have you tried hiding the medication in food? Baytril on its own doesn't taste particularly nice, so few rodents will eat it voluntarily, but the taste isn't all that strong so it's usually easy to hide in something tasty.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 pm 

Yeah im keeping an eye on it this time to see and will tell the vets.. but this lot may be from a newer bottle.

I think ill move it into a completely dark place but i cant change what room as I flat share with two others so my room is the only place.

Ill try that at some point with bread =) The boys like it that way so these girls may do too :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:47 pm 

Rat_lover16 wrote:
Yeah im keeping an eye on it this time to see and will tell the vets.. but this lot may be from a newer bottle.

I think ill move it into a completely dark place but i cant change what room as I flat share with two others so my room is the only place.

Ill try that at some point with bread =) The boys like it that way so these girls may do too :)

I try in bread with either peanut butter or olive oil or mix with some avacado, which they love.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

Sounds nice... im tempted to eat that myself :lol:

Just to add I never bred the mum.... thats how I got them.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 am 
Admin Aide

I just keep mine in a drawer with my other rat meds. I had a bottle recently that was about 9months old and it was absolutely fine still.

I find something the rats can lick off a spoon is better than something like bread. Something like chocolate spread, a little bit of mayonnaise, baby food or something similar :)

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health