Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Possible brain damage
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:06 pm 

I had an accident with one of my rats on Saturday where she was hit on the head when she tried to follow me into another room. I'd pushed the door over behind me not realising she was following me. At the time she looks as if she had a seizure. I put her straight into a carry case to take her to the vets but she was able to move around.

When the vet looked at her he had taken her away to look at her so I don't know what he saw except that she was fine and to keep an eye on her.

I am a little concerned because she is showing signs of what I would consider brain damage. She is not her usual self walking very close to the ground and quite often going in circles. On a positive note she is eating and drinking. She has improved a little since Saturday night, although I am thinking this might be because she's recovered more from the stress of the event rather than the physical effect of it. She is in a low cage so no risk of her attempting to climb and cause herself more injuries.

On the one hand I've got people telling me give her a few days more if she's not in any pain. For me, seeing her that way, nothing like the rat I know, I think it's better for her in the longer term to be put to sleep.

I would appreciate opinions on this.

Post subject: Re: Possible brain damage
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:13 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I am so sorry, that must be hard to watch. :( Rats can have remarkable powers of recovery, so I would also suggest giving her another couple of days, it might be a case of bruising which will improve with time, but if she shows any signs of distress then pts would be kinder. Has she any companions in with her?

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm 

I've put another rat in with her as I figured another rat to cuddle is much better than being alone and may also be better for her recovery. I wouldn't want to stress her out more by leaving her alone either.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Quite right. I hope there is a happy outcome.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 am 

Oh how awful for you. I know this is a different species, but I had a lurcher dog that ran into a tree, she had a broken neck and her brain swelled. She was very out of it for quite some time (extensive operations on her neck), but the swelling did go down. Hopefully it is similar to what has happened to your rat (not the broken neck). Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery xx

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:07 pm 

Luna has shown some signs of improvement. She's no longer going in circles and seems to be fully aware of everything in the same way she did before. Also she doesn't seem to be in any pain that I can tell, good appetite, energetic and drinking plenty.

My only concerns now are she holds her head to one side, sometimes when I see her inside the nest (savic igloo) she looks as though she's actually on her side. Outside the nest it's a lot more level but still tilted. She does have little falls now and then mostly when she's turning or trying to look around her.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Rats can often be left with a residual head tilt after an ear infection, and they cope really well, so even if Luna's tilt doesn't go away, then she should hopefully manage just as well.

It might be worth returning to the vet just in case there's any sign of infection though. (However, don't let the vet override your thoughts on her quality of life - I've found they don't always fully appreciate how much disabled rats can still get out of life. ;) )

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

Great news :D

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

Luna appears to have stopped eating, she'll eat treats etc but I haven't seen her eating much food. I don't think she's pooing which I know can be related to appetite. I had a previous rat with a similar issue and all the vet did was give her a little injection and she was fine. When Luna goes to sleep, she really goes to sleep, I have to physically wake her up. I've put her back in the big cage and she is getting round fantastically well, in that sense she's absolutely fine even though my heart is in my mouth watching her.

I've ordered some soft food from RR hoping that it would be easier for her. I'm going to try get her to vets today just in case she's a little constipated.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:39 am 

How is Luna?

Past: Bebop, Rocksteady, Charlie, Fudge, Zeke, Icarus, Tobias, Bacchus, Hugo, Diego, Tristan, Noah, Isaac, Ace, Spooky, Carlo, Jimbo, Caspian, Rufus.
Present: None at the moment due to space and allergies.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

Luna's doing well. Vet was happy enough with her. I was given some Loxicam to try and help any brain swelling if that was the cause of the head tilt. That hasn't improved any but she seems to be managing ok. A little bit of a long, heavy sleeper which might be why I never see her eat. My other rats have been up doing whatever and Luna's still snoozing. She does get excited when they get fed so that's something. Not a big fan of the soft food unfortunately. We're back at the vet in a couple of days for a check up.

My only concern is that she randomly squeaks with my other rats but it's nothing to do with being cleaned. I've had a feel of her to see if there was somewhere she was sensitive and couldn't find anything.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 am 
Fancy Rats Team

The squeaking may just be her feeling vulnerable. Sounds like she's doing quite well.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm 

The vet was very happy, Luna's head tilt isn't as bad as it was. The latter seemed to come from nowhere as I hadn't noticed much of an improvement. I'm very much relieved.

Thanks very much for the reassurances and advice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health