Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Bleeding Vagina - Spayed?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:23 pm 

Hi,
I am just looking for opinions on the following please - thank you very much in advance!
I noticed one of my girl's vagina bleeding yesterday evening, so quickly took her to the vets today where we were given some antibiotics and pain relief, which we will give to her over the easter weekend. However, we have also booked her in to be spayed (depending on how she does over the weekend) on Tuesday and I am very nervous about this as know it can be a very risky procedure for such a small creature. I have also read that the antibiotics will slow down the bleeding, so we will be unsure whether it is the best thing for her to spayed - does anyone have any advice for this? She does not show that she is in much pain, however, I also know that they can try and hide any pain being prey animals.

Post subject: Re: Bleeding Vagina - Spayed?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:05 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Any problem relating to her uterus is best solved by a spay - if it is an infection (rather than a tumour or something else) the antibiotics may or may not work, and she could get another infection later on anyway.

Make sure your vet has experience in this sort of operation, if they have, then it is relatively straightforward.

I hope it all goes well.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm 

As I understand it, the only curative treatment for a uterine infection in a rat is a spay. If the vets are competent at rodent surgery, then spaying a healthy rat should be a routine operation; it's a more difficult operation in a rat with an infection, but at that point you have no alternative anyway. I've had 5 of my 7 girls spayed so far for various reasons and they've all come through perfectly fine, and I intend to routinely/preventatively spay all my rescue girls in future.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

Another problem has arisen now! Giving the first dose of antibiotics we found that the dose we have been given from the vets is quite a bit higher than what is recommended!
She weighs 400g and has been prescribed for 0.15ml of 10% baytril.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am 

Rat Lover wrote:
Another problem has arisen now! Giving the first dose of antibiotics we found that the dose we have been given from the vets is quite a bit higher than what is recommended!
She weighs 400g and has been prescribed for 0.15ml of 10% baytril.

Is that once or twice a day?

So 10% Baytril solution contains 100mg enrofloxacin per mL. 0.15mL of the solution therefore contains 15mg enrofloxacin. In a 400g rat that works out to a 37.5mg/kg bodyweight dose.

Although the usual dose in rats is 10mg/kg twice daily, the dose range these days is actually 5-20mg/kg twice daily (BSAVA 9th ed.; Carpenter 4th ed.). There's at least one formulary out there that recommends up to 25mg/kg twice daily (Plumb's 8th ed.).

So although 37.5mg/kg twice daily is high (and almost certainly a mistake? :? ) it's not astronomically so. If it's meant to be a once daily dose, then the total dose is in the right range but the dosing frequency is wrong. :P

If you're relying on it to keep a uterine infection under control over the weekend, then a high end dose is probably not a bad idea. I'd personally try 0.1mL twice daily (which works out to 25mg/kg and is easy to measure) instead of what you've been prescribed. :luck:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:18 am 

Thank you very much, she is having it twice daily and is for a possible uterine infection, so we might try 0.1ml instead of 0.15ml.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I would expect a 400g rat to get just under .02ml twice a day, so I disagree that it's high, plus there is a wide range of tolerance for baytril, so giving a high dose would probably be right for an acute uterine infection anyway.

I would stick to the 0.15ml twice a day. :luck:

ETA - I beg your pardon, just checked on my baytril bottle and my (the normal) concentration is 2.5%, so that means I'd expect a 0.05ml dose for 10%, a third of what you're giving.
I would check with your vet before dropping it though. They may have thought it was a different concentration, or the dose may be high because if the type of infection.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 pm 

Just a quick update!
Pippin was spayed today and is recovering well and turns out they found nothing which could have caused the bleeding. We have put her back in with her cagemates and will see how she goes.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 am 
Fancy Rats Team

That's good news. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health