Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Signs of testicular cancer?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 am 

Tonight I noticed that Sam has one testicle that is much larger than the other one, it does not look red/sore and doesn't appear to cause any discomfort but it was no where near this large a few days ago. The boys are currently in a holiday cage at my parent's house whilst I am visiting family so have been having lots of fun chasing each other and playing in their new surroundings. Could it just be swelling from an injury caused by rough play or it it likely to be a lump? It seems to have come up incredibly quickly and I cannot feel a growth of any kind, it is just very swollen. I have seen a lot of tumours with the girls (in various places) but have never had a problem with the boys so not quite sure what I am looking at. Would testicular cancer form a very definite new lump or could it just result in swelling like this? The boys are two years old in October, is random swelling a common place thing that I have just not come across so far?

I am taking them home on Saturday so can potentially get him into the vet on Monday if the swelling has not gone down, I am just hoping that someone can maybe shed some light/share any similar experiences in the meantime.

Thanks x

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post subject: Re: Signs of testicular cancer?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 am 
Fancy Rats Team

It's not something I've witnessed. I hope it turns out okay - presumably a quick neuter should sort it out if there is a problem of some kind.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm 

Thanks Mary :)

Neutering was my first thought although I was hoping to avoid it as Sam is the top rat so it would really disrupt the dynamics of the group. This morning however, the swelling had turned a blue/purple colour. I have him booked into the vets for Monday morning for examination likely followed by neutering but am prepared to take him to an emergency vet if need be. I will try to get a photo of him later but the colour to me looks more like an abscess. From what I have researched so far online abscesses in testicles are best treated by neutering rather than antibiotics. Apart from the obvious reason that it could never return does anyone know why an abscess there demands such aggressive treatment instead of just antibiotics?

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Abscesses in general have very thick/secure walling, so it's hard for antibiotics to penetrate. I don't treat with oral antibiotics for most abscesses, but some can be added topically.

He may not lose his position after the op, neutered boys can be alphas.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:10 pm 

Ah that makes sense. The only abscess that I have ever dealt with was a bite at the base of a tail that drained quite easily and was treated with antibiotics for a week after. I didn't manage to get any usable pics but there is no change in size or colour today so fingers crossed he will be okay until our appointment on Monday morning.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health