Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: De Worming?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

Hi there.
I'm new to the forum and used to keep rats in my teens.
My teen children have pet rats, they are just babies and we're a cobbled together pair from separate litters where they ended up being last and single.
My problem is with the little grey and white fella. I had a good look at him after letting them settle and get to know each other and I swear he looks like a puppy does when it comes with a belly full of worms.
Bit worrying obviously. I've looked on line and ordered the beaphur spot on but is there anything better I should look at instead?
Thank you for any help x

Post subject: Re: De Worming?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:42 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Welcome to the forum. :)

May I ask first up whether you are in the UK? A bloated belly could be a sign of megacolon which is a problem for some marked rats in the US. It's not common here though.

My second thought is, are you absolutely sure they are both the same sex? Rats can become pregnant as young as 5 weeks, so another possibility is that grey and white one could be pregnant.

I've never heard of a rat being infested with worms to the extent of it affecting their shape, where did they come from? If it is worms, I think you need a wormer like panacur rather than beaphar, but it's probably worth getting them checked over by a knowledgeable vet. (Vets don't get much training on rats, so not all vets are knowledgeable!)

It would also help us to see a picture if you can get one.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post subject: Re: De Worming?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:46 pm 

UK based both have visible penis and testicles. Booked him into Andale at Widnes for this evening. He's perky enough just pot. Whereas the other isn't so have a basis for comparison
Will let you know what they say.
Thanks X

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health