Breathing Problems

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Kittykate84

Breathing Problems

Post by Kittykate84 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am

Hello I am new here so I hope I am doing this right!!
Can anyone help? My little girl is 18 months and has lots of breathing problems. I have removed all bedding except fleece and a smattering of dust free litter in their litter tray. We have been to the vets and had antibiotics several times. Her sister is fine so I don't think it's environmental. It has been about 6 weeks since the last lot of antibiotics and her breathing is bad again. I didn't want to have to keep giving her antibiotics but the vet isn't suggesting anything else. Any help appreciated!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Breathing Problems

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

What antibiotics has she been on, how much are you giving her, and how much does she weigh?

Kittykate84

Post by Kittykate84 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:45 am

I actually don't know, it was injected

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:57 am

Injected just once, or did you go back every day?

The best course of medication is usually a combined treatment, for at least 10 days and preferably 3 weeks - baytril twice a day, and ronaxan (doxycycline) once a day, all given separately mixed with some non dairy food (some vets suggest putting it in water which is wrong). If your rat is 300g, the baytril dose should be roughly 0.15 ml if it is 2.5% concentration (a lot of vets give too little).

I would to back to the vet and discuss this option, and if they aren't willing to consider it, then find a better vet. There is an article you could print out here.

Kittykate84

Post by Kittykate84 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

She had an injection on the Monday and had to go for a second on the Friday. (The first time they had stuff to put in their water for 5 days)

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:55 pm

:o I would definitely seek a better vet if possible. Antibiotics in the water is remarkable. Antibiotics in the water when only one individual in a colony requires treatment is ... quite remarkable.

You probably want to start with Baytril (enrofloxacin) and doxycycline in combination like Mary said. 10mg/kg twice a day for the Baytril, 5mg/kg twice a day for the doxycycline. You can tell them Harkness and Wagner's Rabbits and Rodents, Blackwell's Five-Minute Consult, and Plumb's Drug Handbook all said so. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Health”