Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Used Ivermectine for mites but they are still there!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 pm 

New to the site so i would just like to introduce myself, my name is Chandler, I'm from the United Kingdom and I now own 3 rats. Okay, Why we are here, So i recently bought a new rat from a breeder, before i knew it all my rats had mites (I think i caught it early). So after doing some research i found that you could bathe the rats in olive oil, however it wouldn't completely get rid of them. Soon after i looked online to see that you could get something called Ivermectine, I went to the local pet store and got it thinking it would solve my problem, It didn't... Its been well over 24 hours and my rats are still infested. Anything else i can do?

Post subject: Re: Used Ivermectine for mites but they are still there!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:11 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Olive oil isn't really something that will work for parasites. You say your rats are infested with mites, can you see them? If you can see them then it's not mites as mites are microscopic, you can see lice however.

24 hours isn't very long to completely kill all the lice but what exact product was it and did you dose as advised? With a particularly stubborn case you may need selamectin from your vet instead but I certainly wouldn't use a home remedy as it's unlikely to work and will just stress your rats out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health