Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Paddy - URI
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

Paddy, 19 month old neutered boy has had on/off URIs for months. The last gap he had in between infections was about 6 weeks. He has just had a 2 course of ronaxan, but there was no difference. Vet suggested Veraflox, So after 5 days of Veraflox we took him back and they gave him a steroid, which was on Friday. He is still hooting and crackling. They said that if the steroid didn't make and changes for him to go back and have X-rays.

I'm not sure if X-rays are beneficial and what are they likely to show, if anything. Is this likely to be lung scarring? Is there anything else I can try.

I've never had a ratty sound so bad for so long without any improvement with some sort of treatment.

Incidentally, this all flared up again when a newbie had been introduced but Dax was a lone rat and had always been a lone rat so I didn't think there was a need for quarantine. The other boys have not shown any symptoms.

Post subject: Re: Paddy - URI
 Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Does he appear unwell in himself? An xray would require him to be sedated or anaesthetised and that might be risky, so if he is noisy but otherwise well then I would leave him as he is, and see how he fares without any treatment.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:08 am 

Ok, thanks. He seems ok, sometimes a bit quieter than usual. He always used to rush to the door but not so much now. Should I keep on with the Veraflox?

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:28 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I'm not familiar with it... is it an antibiotic?

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 pm 

Yes, antibiotic for cats.

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:51 pm 

Just weighed paddy as he feels like he has lost weight. He is down by 80g to 350g since the last time I weighed him in January. He has always been a small boy. I am considering taking him for X-rays on Monday.

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:24 pm 

No advice but just to let you know I'm thinking of you, let us know how he gets on x

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm 
Admin Aide

Not really got enough experience to be all that sure about anything, but have you tried a combo of ABs at any point, or is it always just one at a time? I know people sometimes try an AB to target myco (which I think baytril, ronaxan and veraflox all do) with something like co-amox to hit other possible things. Nothing particularly useful I can add, but hope you find something that works for him.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 am 

Paddy had his X-rays on Tuesday. It showed one lobe of his lung is still infected. The vet wanted me to nebulise him but I am reluctant after researching. So he is on a strong course of baytril. But when talking to the vet whilst looking at the X-rays she said that it looks like his lung is compacted and is not getting enough air in it. I said that paddy has had on and off respy issues since I got him in 2016 so what was the likelihood of it being scar tissue. She said it was a possibility but she wouldn't have expected to be so crackly. She didn't want to try a combo of abx as he has had 2 different types that didn't work and didn't want to upset his stomach by bombarding it.

We'll see what happens.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health