Paddy - URI

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Caza66

Paddy - URI

Post by Caza66 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Paddy, 19 month old neutered boy has had on/off URIs for months. The last gap he had in between infections was about 6 weeks. He has just had a 2 course of ronaxan, but there was no difference. Vet suggested Veraflox, So after 5 days of Veraflox we took him back and they gave him a steroid, which was on Friday. He is still hooting and crackling. They said that if the steroid didn't make and changes for him to go back and have X-rays.

I'm not sure if X-rays are beneficial and what are they likely to show, if anything. Is this likely to be lung scarring? Is there anything else I can try.

I've never had a ratty sound so bad for so long without any improvement with some sort of treatment.

Incidentally, this all flared up again when a newbie had been introduced but Dax was a lone rat and had always been a lone rat so I didn't think there was a need for quarantine. The other boys have not shown any symptoms.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Paddy - URI

Post by cyber ratty » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 am

Does he appear unwell in himself? An xray would require him to be sedated or anaesthetised and that might be risky, so if he is noisy but otherwise well then I would leave him as he is, and see how he fares without any treatment.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:08 am

Ok, thanks. He seems ok, sometimes a bit quieter than usual. He always used to rush to the door but not so much now. Should I keep on with the Veraflox?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue May 16, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm not familiar with it... is it an antibiotic?

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, antibiotic for cats.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Just weighed paddy as he feels like he has lost weight. He is down by 80g to 350g since the last time I weighed him in January. He has always been a small boy. I am considering taking him for X-rays on Monday.

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Sat May 20, 2017 12:24 pm

No advice but just to let you know I'm thinking of you, let us know how he gets on x
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Not really got enough experience to be all that sure about anything, but have you tried a combo of ABs at any point, or is it always just one at a time? I know people sometimes try an AB to target myco (which I think baytril, ronaxan and veraflox all do) with something like co-amox to hit other possible things. Nothing particularly useful I can add, but hope you find something that works for him.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 am

Paddy had his X-rays on Tuesday. It showed one lobe of his lung is still infected. The vet wanted me to nebulise him but I am reluctant after researching. So he is on a strong course of baytril. But when talking to the vet whilst looking at the X-rays she said that it looks like his lung is compacted and is not getting enough air in it. I said that paddy has had on and off respy issues since I got him in 2016 so what was the likelihood of it being scar tissue. She said it was a possibility but she wouldn't have expected to be so crackly. She didn't want to try a combo of abx as he has had 2 different types that didn't work and didn't want to upset his stomach by bombarding it.

We'll see what happens.

Return to “Health”