Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Help with sick rat
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 pm 

so bit of a long story but i got my hands on a siamese dumbo rat who is probably about 2-3 months old.

he was in possession of some pretty terrible owners and they used him for breeding then completely neglected him.

the little guy is severely under weight (they were feeding him nothing by dried rice) and has a bunch of other issues

i first noticed he is infested with fleas or some sort of other parasitic insects. obviously tried a flea bath but they're still lingering as far as i can tell and i don't want to keep bathing him because of how frail he seems

he will not eat any solid food i try to give him. he's drinking milk and a lot of it but that's it

he seems lethargic and low energy

his penis is unsheathed and i just have no clue what to do about that or what it could mean.

i was wondering if you guys had any tips on what i could possibly do to help this little guy.

Post subject: Re: Help with sick rat
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 pm 

How sad and well done for taking him on. You can buy ivermectin to treat lice etc, or beaphar spot on for rats but if he is that bad the ivermectin would be best. If he won't eat solid foods, try some complan, or mashed up foods like mash potato, mashed avacado.

Some friends would also be good for him.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 am 

Caza66 wrote:
How sad and well done for taking him on. You can buy ivermectin to treat lice etc, or beaphar spot on for rats but if he is that bad the ivermectin would be best. If he won't eat solid foods, try some complan, or mashed up foods like mash potato, mashed avacado.

Some friends would also be good for him.

Good luck.

thank you so much. i'm currently looking for ivermectin to buy. i took away his milk for now and gave him cooked rice, cooked pasta, corn and mashed sweet potatoes. unfortunately he didn't seem all too interested. i'll post again with how he's doing and thanks again for the reply.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:00 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I think a visit to the vet would be a good idea, today if you can as waiting until after the bank holiday may be too long. They can check his penis and assess his overall state.

Other foods to try that you might have in your cupboards are low sugar cereals or porridge oats, seeds and nuts, Also some scrambled egg or a bit of cooked chicken, baked beans washed clean of sauce or other tinned pulses, tuna or salmon in spring water, banana, apple, cucumber, fresh and cooked vegetables.

He is very young, and will be at risk of depression through being on his own, so the sooner you can find him some male companions the better his chances will be.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pm 

Don't give him Avocado. Some sorts of Avocado are poisonous for rats and almost all of them cause stomach ache. You should go to the vet as soon as possible.
As soon as he is healthy, he should get some friends. Being lonely can cause behavioral disorders.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Avocado is fine for rats, just don't give the skin or the stone. It is very rich though, so shouldn't be given in large amounts, but that's exactly why it is so good for a rat who needs nourishment but can't eat much and has to be tempted by something which is so yummy. ;)

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:17 pm 

cyber ratty wrote:
Avocado is fine for rats, just don't give the skin or the stone. It is very rich though, so shouldn't be given in large amounts, but that's exactly why it is so good for a rat who needs nourishment but can't eat much and has to be tempted by something which is so yummy. ;)

Thanks for confirming avacado is ok. I give meds in avacado so they only get small quantities.

Op: how is the little fella doing now?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health