Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Hind leg problem - course of action
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:50 pm 

Hi all,

My boy Arthur is having a little trouble with his hind legs. A few weeks ago he started limping slightly and showed signs of weight loss, and now is moving​ about but unable to pick up his feet properly/folds them when he walks. He seems absolutely content otherwise, is eating, drinking and going to the toilet as normal. No puffing up or obvious signs of pain, he's also navigating the cage fairly well and still has feeling in his toes.

He was taken to the vet last week, no real answers but he has lost a significant amount of weight. I don't think it is a sudden onset thing, he only has one eye, and so has always walked in what I assumed was just a counterbalanced way with his tail/bum a little to the side, but this could be related. Currently he's on loxicom to try and ease any possible swelling on his spine, we haven't really seen any improvement but no decline either. Difficult decision to make as to whether we investigate further - the only way we'll be able to rule out kidneys or spinal trauma is by putting him under, but he's got a pretty severe underlying resp infection and I don't know if I want to risk it given that he seems to be doing okay so far.

Any opinions/observations? Should I be looking into getting tests done or just making him comfortable and the cage more manageable for him? Also with his weight loss, is it worth trying to give him a more carby diet? Obviously don't want to give more protein in case it is kidneys, but I think he needs something to bulk him up a bit.

Thanks in advance, any ideas greatly appreciated x

Post subject: Re: Hind leg problem - course of action
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:13 am 
Fancy Rats Team

HLD has a gradual onset, and there would normally be several months of waddling before any further progression - this doesn't sound like that, especially with the mention of limping. Although he may have HLD in combination with something else.

It does sound more like a potential spinal/neurological issue, but I would agree that it may be kinder to treat symptoms rather than put him through major investigations. You could try steroids to see if they help, or give glucosamine along with pain relief in case it's joint related such as arthritis.

Cooked carbs should help his weight if anything will. I hope he rallies.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post subject: Re: Hind leg problem - course of action
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:23 pm 

Thanks very much for your reply,

I have some DrS easy mover somewhere that I'll give a go, I think unless there's something radical I can do it's just going to be a case of waiting it out :(

A bit concerned about giving steroids because his chest is so touch and go. Am I right in thinking they affect the immune system? His brother had what I assume was the same long term lung issue and treatment even with antibiotics seemed to be extremely counterproductive, I don't want to give whatever it is any chance to get worse while Arthur's managing alright on his own.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health