Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Any ideas whats wrong
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

One of my girls suddenly became quite ill at the beginning of the week. She's been to the vet and I've been given co-trimoxazole solution but the vet has no idea what's wrong.

Toffee is a wannabe explorer so when she wasn't herself it was straight to the vet. Since then she doesn't really want to get up. She'll eat cereal if I put some in the cage but I don't have much left. She rarely goes near the food bowl, I have put soft food in as she isn't holding food but she's not interested. If I give her a treat It'll be eaten similar to how a cat or dog would eat a treat though I usually hold it for her. When I pick her up she'll sometimes give a little bite. Her breathing sounds fine though there is more red discharge around her nose than usual but I think that's just because she's ill. Symptom wise nothing stands out she just became quite lethargic, a little unsteady on her feet like her balance wasn't right and seems slightly confused. It came out of nowhere one day she's fine, next she's not.

Any ideas what it could be? The vet wants to do x-rays if she doesn't improve but I think putting her to sleep would be the best solution as I don't want her to suffer.

I'm having it tough with rats just now. My other 3 have tumours and I've been advised to have Luna, who is otherwise healthy, euthanised because a tumour has been removed in the same place already so it's likely to grow back again.

Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats wrong
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 pm 

One of my boys went through a similar thing a while back, a friend was looking after him and overnight he just stopped moving and was extremely lethargic, not eating with no motor function. Like yours our vet said that she had no idea how to treat and so after such a rapid decline with no real hope of recovery we made the decision to put him to sleep.

I suspected it was neurological, I don't know if I would have put him through x-rays as being able to diagnose whatever he had wouldn't have given us any more treatment options really. Has the vet explained why she wants to x-ray? I'd say if she's got a good idea what it could be and how she could treat it might be worthwhile, but otherwise I don't know.

So sorry it's not more promising, I know how horrible and hopeless it is when one just goes like that overnight. Here's a link to the thread I initially posted in case you find it useful at all http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=30280

Really hope someone else can give some more advice, really sorry I can't be of better help xx

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:29 pm 

The vet was thinking about an internal lump since mine are at mammary tumour age (21 months). I think in a rat if it's not immediately apparent and/or improving with antibiotics then putting them to sleep is the best option. I wouldn't want to cause more stress by doing further tests.

I went to see Toffee earlier when she was having a wander round the cage, and she tried to wander off when I opened the gate. Despite being quite ill she's still herself in that sense. I had her in a small cage with another rat to keep her safe but I decided keeping them all together was best. Fudge who is kinda like a best friend has been in the nest keeping her company as well.

I'll give Toffee a few days to recover as she's only been getting meds since Wednesday and the vets given me 10 days worth of medicine.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 pm 

Bless her, really hope things work out for you :hearts:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

rattimus wrote:
... I've been advised to have Luna, who is otherwise healthy, euthanised because a tumour has been removed in the same place already so it's likely to grow back again.

No, no... there is no reason to have an otherwise healthy rat pts just because they have a lump. It's possible that the vet left some of the lump behind during the previous operation, but regardless of that, another operation would be the right option. I would be looking for a better vet!

You can reduce the chance of lumps appearing by keeping girls nice and slim, also by avoiding PAH nuggets (or Burgess as they are the same).

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:43 pm 

Onthewires wrote:
Bless her, really hope things work out for you :hearts:

Thank you. She's a little fighter so I hope she gets better.

cyber ratty wrote:
rattimus wrote:
... I've been advised to have Luna, who is otherwise healthy, euthanised because a tumour has been removed in the same place already so it's likely to grow back again.

No, no... there is no reason to have an otherwise healthy rat pts just because they have a lump. It's possible that the vet left some of the lump behind during the previous operation, but regardless of that, another operation would be the right option. I would be looking for a better vet!

You can reduce the chance of lumps appearing by keeping girls nice and slim, also by avoiding PAH nuggets (or Burgess as they are the same).

I usually go to the PDSA so maybe it's a thing they do. They didn't say when I'd need to get her pts just that it'd need to be done. I'm assuming when the lump gets too big and she's struggling to move with it as it is right behind her front leg. I'll check with a private vet but the lump is getting big so hopefully they can do something and quick.

I only feed my girls RR food but I also got my rats from PAH (I know, I know. I don't drive nor know anyone that does. I try and get rescues from the local SSPCA when they have them) which will probably explain the tumours. One of my girls needs a diet, I think she's about 500g and really loves food, the rest are a good weight, I hope.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:09 pm 

I picked up Toffee earlier and felt a little lump at her back end. Had a check turns out she's got a little bit of poop showing. I checked a bit later and it was still there.

Is there anyway to help her move her bowels? Would a return to the vet be advisable as I can't get her to drink much. I've been giving her baby food which she likes to make sure she's actually eating.

The antibiotics have side effects which can cause similar symptoms in humans, so I assume the same can apply to rats.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 am 
Fancy Rats Team

If she won't drink, would she eat cucumber or melon?

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm 

Neither are things I keep in the house (I like neither). Toffee was drinking a little yesterday and this morning. I was also using a medicine syringe to give her water. She is currently at the vet getting an xray and blood test as I was getting concerned that she was showing no sign of improvement added to the fact she wasn't really eating either. She is interested in food but quickly leaves it.

I'm still hopeful it's nothing serious as she is determined to get out and explore.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

Vets can't seem to find anything wrong with Toffee. Xray was clear. They didn't do blood as she wasn't out enough for them to be able to take anything. I've been advised to go to a small animal vet sadly there not a distance I can easily get to. It's worrying as they can't figure out whats wrong.

I've been given four days of baytril.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:02 am 

Toffee hasn't improved any and has slowly been getting worse. I have a little inkling that it may be neurological in some way. She's only using one paw to hold food, seems at times to be confused and her balance is a little off. Toffee will be getting pts later today as it's the best thing for her.

The other girl I mentioned in this thread, Luna, is also at the vet today getting her lump removed. This vet advised they wouldn't attempt another removal if the lump came back for a third time as they don't want to cause stress to an older rat (my girls are 21 months atm).

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I've had operations done at 2 1/2 years and at 3 years - if the rat is otherwise fit and healthy there isn't any extra stress.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm 

cyber ratty wrote:
I've had operations done at 2 1/2 years and at 3 years - if the rat is otherwise fit and healthy there isn't any extra stress.

Me too.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:48 pm 

I don't think the vets I took Luna to see many rats. They'd have no problem operating on a different lump they just don't want to keep doing the same one over and over. Besides a head tilt from an injury a couple months ago Luna really lives up to her name.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health