Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Rat URI
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 am 

I think my rats have an upper respiratory infection, but I can't take them to the vet. I read about several antibiotics I can use, like Tetracycline. What are some other easily available ones that I can put in their water? By the way, the reason I can't take them to the vet is because I'm 15 and can't afford it, and my parents definitely wouldn't pay for it because we're moving soon. Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Rat URI
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry you think your rats have a uri. What are the symptoms? Don't put antibiotics in water as you can't control how much they get. Unfortunately, the only antibiotic licensed for rats is baytril, but most good vets will try others like doxycycline. However, you can only get antibiotics from vets, unless you get a prescription from a vet and then buy online. Some vets will offer payment plans to help spread the payments.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:00 am 

Caza66 wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry you think your rats have a uri. What are the symptoms? Don't put antibiotics in water as you can't control how much they get. Unfortunately, the only antibiotic licensed for rats is baytril, but most good vets will try others like doxycycline. However, you can only get antibiotics from vets, unless you get a prescription from a vet and then buy online. Some vets will offer payment plans to help spread the payments.

Good luck.

One of my rats is making a squeaking noise and both are sneezing. And I don't think the payment is the problem, we're giving the rats away really soon so my parents will probably just say it's whoever we give the rats to's problem. I just want to set them up for a good life and not give whoever sick rats without at least some medication. Is there anything I can get without a vet's prescription? In the meantime, is there anything I can do to boost the rat's immune system? Thanks

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I'm sorry to hear you're rehoming your rats, but if they aren't going to see a vet until they are, then I think you should rehome asap. There is a rehoming board on this forum, and if any of the family uses facebook, Rat Rescue Network UK is the best group to advertise them on. Alternatively, if you have a good local rescue centre, they may take them, but make sure they are experienced with rats first.

In the meantime, you could add garlic to their food as that is supposed to boost their own immune system, but there really is no replacement for vet care.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health