Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: please help!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 am 

I am currently treating my 4, 5 week old boys for pinworms. I am going cleaning crazy and have been so worried about my 3 kids.

Can humans get pinworms from rats??
do pinworms cause uri s in rats??

I am cleaning their cage 2 times per day and bleaching everything in the house.
My vet told me they were contagious to humans and I been going crazy because their eggs are airborne.. please people, am I worrying for no reason? I can't seem to get definate answers!

Post subject: Re: please help!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I have checked in the NFRS handbook - it states in there that pinworms are not transmissible to man or other livestock. Your vet seems to be wrong on this, and eggs are not going to be airborne anyway... the eggs are laid on the skin around the anus.

For further accurate information:
Pinworms in rats are very common, and most rats do not suffer any ill effects.
They reach a peak in kittens at around 6 weeks of age, after which the rat develops some immunity.
Treatment can be Johnson's kitten wormer, ivermectin, or panacur, and the environment needs to be disinfected thoroughly in case of stray eggs. However, it is thought that they give some protection against some types of arthritis so it's probably best not to treat them for it at all.

Are the kittens from a litter you're raising? They are too young to have left their breeder otherwise.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 am 
Fancy Rats Team

If your kittens are sounding as though they have an URI, then it's likely to be parasitic bronchitis, caused when bladder worms migrate into the lungs. Treat with ivermectin - but use a small amount of low concentration.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 am 

I'm not 100% on how old they are.. I adopted them from Craigslist... 2 are of the same litter and 2 are from different litters. they all weigh around 80 grams.
thank you for the info and for clarifying. the vet did a fecal test and it came back positive for pinworm. I took him in, thinking that he had a uri. he was making a lot of low sounding squeaks and was constantly sneezing. 2 days later his sneezing has stopped bit now all of my boys are producing porpyrin. I have only had them for 5 days now. I took them to the vet one day two. my one boy is being treated for a uri with Enrofloxacin ..the rest of them are taking fenbendazole for the worms. they all seem to be doing better and the boy i took to the vet for uri is no longer sneezing or making noises but im still concerned about the porfyrin...
I just want them to be healthy.. these are the first 4 rats I've owned and I did 2 weeks of research before I got them. I feel so uneducated and confused as to what they need or what they are actually sick with and I've laid 200$ in vet bills in the first 5 days of having them.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 am 

also, my boy with the (what seems like) uri..had diarrhea off and on.. but idk if it's stress from being mesed with so much over the past couple days. car rides, new cahe, new house, the vet, being handled and forced medication. I haven't seen any worms in any of their feces.
porpyrin can be produced by stress as well, can't it?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Gosh... they don't sound too well at all, diarrhea can be very serious in rats. They are also incredibly tiny - my kittens weigh around 170g at 6 weeks of age.

I would think they are very young given their weights, and possibly should even still be with their mother. Do you have any pictures? Are their coats soft and fluffy or smooth and shiny? If they are shiny then they will be older but clearly undernourished. Thin or square edged tails are a sign of them not getting enough of the right foods for growth.

It is most important that you give them on a good diet, they are mere babies and need a lot of support to ensure they grow and develop as best they can - this article gives ideas on how to feed them.

Porphyrin can indeed be a sign of stress, as can sneezing, and it's highly likely that the move has been stressful for them. Hopefully they will improve as they settle in, but it is possible that they could have a virus - maybe you could ask the seller whether anyone else has had problems, and how their own rats are... although they may not respond.

This forum has a lot of useful articles that you may like to read, along with plenty of discussions on all topics (check the archives too), so please have a browse and feel free to ask any questions. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm 

I am currently feeding them Oxbow adult since it has no alfalfa in it. They get protein twice a week. They seem healthy their fur is smooth and their tails are round. I gave them organic coconut oil yesterday.

ImageImageImage

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 am 
Fancy Rats Team

They look between 5 and 6 weeks old to me (I can see Preston is clearly still fluffy). I would increase their extra food to 4 or 5 times a week for the next 3 weeks and then drop to 2 - 3 times a week for the following 2 weeks. Give a balanced meal including protein (eggs, chicken drumstick, fish on the bone, pulses, etc.), cooked carbs (rice, pasta, couscous, etc.), and veg (peas, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, curly kale, etc.). Keep going with fresh veg most days even after they've finished this growth period.

Very cute kittens. :) The rexes may go bald in patches while they moult, but don't worry as it will grow back.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

okay I will most certainly do that.
thank you!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health