Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Eye irritation?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:59 pm 

Hi people,
Two days ago, my 25 month old rat suddenly had porphyrin staining around his left eye. He's never had it before and it appeared very suddenly (he was playing with me and literally 5 seconds later it was there). He doesn't bother to clean it off when it's there and his white fur is now stained around his eye.
I decided to keep an eye on it for a few days rather than whisking him straight off to the vet. It was still there yesterday so gave him a dose of loxicom to see if it helped. It seems to have cleared it up.
However, today around his eye seems puffy (no porphyrin) and he's blinking more with that eye. He shows no other change in behaviour, except for appearing a little anxious and easily frightened when he first gets out his cage.

Is the puffiness and extra blinking normal for porphyrin around the eye? Or does anyone have any ideas before I take him to the vet? Tomorrow will be day 3.

Thanks again for your help!

Post subject: Re: Eye irritation?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 am 

I'm not an expert on eye issues but if it's looking puffy and he's blinking it more, that suggests something's irritating it in some way and it's probably time to take him to the vet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health