Non specific symptoms in 18 month old rat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
[cub]

Re: Non specific symptoms in 18 month old rat

Post by [cub] » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:10 pm

If you have a spare cage and the other older girl is kinder to Paws than their younger cagemates, then I think it would be a good idea to move the two elders to the Freddy, especially as I expect Paws isn't making full use of the space in the SRS anymore?

If you can, have a feel around Paws's molars (they're difficult to see unless the rat opens their mouth reaaally wide so you have to do it by feel) to check if there's any swelling or tenderness there. They're basically where you would expect them to be, at the back of the jawbone on either side of the mouth. Most rats do complain a bit if you prod them there, at least, mine do. :roll: Just thought of that, in case there's something dental going on further back that's affecting Paws's eating. It's helpful to feel both sides at the same time if you can, so you can compare for any differences which might indicate something abnormal at either end.

Do vary the soft food she's getting a bit, if you aren't already. It might help encourage her to eat more if there's different flavours to try each day. Fat is the best way of maximising calories per unit volume: you can use different fats to keep things interesting. Olive oil, butter, coconut oil if you have some around. :hearts:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

hjanders

Post by hjanders » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Final update on Paws

We have said goodbye to Paws today :( :cry:

During her last 10 days she was up and down. She often wanted to be out and about but at other times she was quiet. The best thing was that she continued to love her soft food and being with us. She spent time very happily in the smaller cage with our other older girl. But she continued to slowly lose weight and it became obvious that her time was up. So sad at only 19 months of age.

She was a beautiful, loving, caring rat. I will always remember how she would run to the scene of any squabbles between cagemates to break it up.

RIP Pawsie, we will love you forever x
Popcorn, Me-Me, Nelle, Luna, Maggie and Tutsie
Never to be forgotten: Trixie, Paws, Tica, Doris and Bella ❤️

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Really sorry to read this, RIP Paws :(

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm very sorry. :( It sounds like she really appreciated the love and care you gave her. Rest well Paws. :hearts:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:46 am

So sorry to hear this. Run free Paws :hearts:
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:07 am

Oh Im so sorry to hear :( I was just wondering about her the other day.
Little soul really benefitted from your care :hearts:

Run free Paws :rattyrainbow:
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Health”